USB serial ports

Post by helpte » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 18:52:40

Hi,
I have installed Madrake v9 in a AMD-XP-2100 on a ASUS motherboard. When
starting linux I can read kernel messages detecting USB ports, however
in the /dev directory the subfolder USB is empty and no USB device
appears elsewhere. As I have a digital camera which uses USB port I
cannot load images from it through the gphoto program.
Any idea?
Thanks in advance.
Helptex

USB serial ports

Post by Morde » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 05:41:29

> Hi,
> I have installed Madrake v9 in a AMD-XP-2100 on a ASUS motherboard. When
> starting linux I can read kernel messages detecting USB ports, however
> in the /dev directory the subfolder USB is empty and no USB device
> appears elsewhere. As I have a digital camera which uses USB port I
> cannot load images from it through the gphoto program.
> Any idea?

Just get 2.4.19 and compile it with all usb options that you need.
I think USB support is specific to every digital camera:

--- USB Imaging devices                                              x x
   x x< >   USB Kodak DC-2xx Camera support
    x x
   x x< >   USB Mustek MDC800 Digital Camera support (EXPERIMENTAL)
    x x
   x x< >   USB Scanner support
    x x
   x x< >   Microtek X6USB scanner support
    x x
   x x< >   HP53xx USB scanner support (EXPERIMENTAL)

USB serial ports

Post by Grant Edwar » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 05:41:47

> I have installed Madrake v9 in a AMD-XP-2100 on a ASUS motherboard. When
> starting linux I can read kernel messages detecting USB ports, however
> in the /dev directory the subfolder USB is empty and no USB device
> appears elsewhere. As I have a digital camera which uses USB port I
> cannot load images from it through the gphoto program.

The digital cameras I've played with (Sony, Nikon) just look
like USB mass storage devices (disk drives).  You plug in the
camera and access it as a FAT filesystem on /dev/sd<something>.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  You were s'posed
                                  at               to laugh!