Win95 FAT32

Post by Chen We » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
I am trying to make my WIN95 partition visible to Linux. I don't
know Linux support FAT32 file system or not. I guess it does!
But when I try to use " mount -t FAT32 /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos",  I was
warned that this kind of file system is not supported!
Then I use "make xconfig" to check if the kernel really support FAT32
or not. I found that FAT32 is "module support" by kernel.
What can I do?  Should I recompile the kernel?

Thanks!

ChenWei

Win95 FAT32

Post by Brion Vibbe » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,
> I am trying to make my WIN95 partition visible to Linux. I don't
> know Linux support FAT32 file system or not. I guess it does!
> But when I try to use " mount -t FAT32 /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos",  I was
> warned that this kind of file system is not supported!

You should use the filesystem type vfat just like on a Win95 FAT16
drive. The numbers of bits is automatically detected and dealt with as
long as FAT32 support is in your kernel. So, mount like this:

    mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos

Quote:> Then I use "make xconfig" to check if the kernel really support FAT32
> or not. I found that FAT32 is "module support" by kernel.
> What can I do?  Should I recompile the kernel?

If the above doesn't work, go ahead and recompile the kernel, then make
sure that you compile and install the modules like this:
(from /usr/src/linux)

    make modules
    make modules_install

Or, in make xconfig set FAT32 support to be compiled directly into the
kernel instead of as a module, and simply recompile the kernel.

If you still have troubles after that, install a fresh copy of the
current kernel source from ftp.kernel.org and reinstall the FAT32 patch
from http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/chaffee/fat32.html

Win95 FAT32

Post by Hugh McCur » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hi,
> I am trying to make my WIN95 partition visible to Linux. I don't
> know Linux support FAT32 file system or not. I guess it does!
> But when I try to use " mount -t FAT32 /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos",  I was
> warned that this kind of file system is not supported!
> Then I use "make xconfig" to check if the kernel really support FAT32
> or not. I found that FAT32 is "module support" by kernel.
> What can I do?  Should I recompile the kernel?

Yes, I would recompile the kernel.  For more information about FAT32
http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/chaffee/fat32.html

--
Hugh McCurdy

Win95 FAT32

Post by Senko Ras » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>Hi,
>I am trying to make my WIN95 partition visible to Linux. I don't
>know Linux support FAT32 file system or not. I guess it does!
>But when I try to use " mount -t FAT32 /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos",  I was
>warned that this kind of file system is not supported!
>Then I use "make xconfig" to check if the kernel really support FAT32
>or not. I found that FAT32 is "module support" by kernel.
>What can I do?  Should I recompile the kernel?

FAT32 support in kernel is transparent. Try:
  mount -t msdos /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos

Senko