NEC 510 (3Xi) SCSI CDROM w/ PAS16 SCSI card... question?

NEC 510 (3Xi) SCSI CDROM w/ PAS16 SCSI card... question?

Post by Paul Smi » Wed, 16 Nov 1994 04:02:46

I've had a PAS16 for about a year now and like it a lot.  I'm running
Linux 1.0.9 from Slackware 2.0 with various enhancements, like the new
sound driver and PPP.

Anyway, I used to have a Philips single-speed CDROM, which worked OK but
not great.

This past weekend I bought a NEC 3Xi (triple-speed internal) SCSI CDROM
drive.  Very nice drive!  Very zippy!

But, I have a question... when I boot my PAS16 SCSI card recognizes the
NEC but calls it an "NEC 500", which is a 3Xe (I think that means
triple-speed external--I don't know if there're other differences).

Now normally this wouldn't bother me, except that I then tried to
configure xmcd and when I chose the NEC 510 I couldn't play any CD's; it
would just hang for a while, then timeout.

So, I changed the xmcd configuration to NEC 500 and it then worked.

So now I'm wondering whether there's something strange about this drive:
I got it from an only marginally reputable place, but I opened up the
case and the stickers on the drive definitely say "510" and they're very
clean; I don't think anyone could have moved them.

Should I care?  Does this matter?  Is this a known anomaly with NEC
and/or PAS16 SCSI?

 Senior Software Engineer                                   Bay Networks, Inc.
     These are my opinions--Bay Networks takes no responsibility for them.

Post by dh.. » Thu, 17 Nov 1994 14:50:06

>I've had a PAS16 for about a year now and like it a lot.  I'm running
>Linux 1.0.9 from Slackware 2.0 with various enhancements, like the new
>sound driver and PPP.

>Anyway, I used to have a Philips single-speed CDROM, which worked OK but
>not great.

>This past weekend I bought a NEC 3Xi (triple-speed internal) SCSI CDROM
>drive.  Very nice drive!  Very zippy!

>But, I have a question... when I boot my PAS16 SCSI card recognizes the
>NEC but calls it an "NEC 500", which is a 3Xe (I think that means
>triple-speed external--I don't know if there're other differences).

>Now normally this wouldn't bother me, except that I then tried to
>configure xmcd and when I chose the NEC 510 I couldn't play any CD's; it
>would just hang for a while, then timeout.

>So, I changed the xmcd configuration to NEC 500 and it then worked.

>So now I'm wondering whether there's something strange about this drive:
>I got it from an only marginally reputable place, but I opened up the
>case and the stickers on the drive definitely say "510" and they're very
>clean; I don't think anyone could have moved them.

>Should I care?  Does this matter?  Is this a known anomaly with NEC
>and/or PAS16 SCSI?

The NEC 3xi (with the rotating doors and the caddy) is the CDR-500,
that is the version the BIOS reports from the CD-ROM. The NEC CD-ROM drive
you have is the CDR-510, which is the OEM version of the CDR-500, the two drives
are mechanically identical, although they share some external differences.
From the software point of view there is no difference between the CDR-500 and the
CDR-510.

FYI, The external 3xe is the CDR-600,and the 3xp is the CDR-400.

1. NEC 3Xe/PAS16/NEC AT160 SCSI Questions

I have an NEC 3Xe CDROM that I would like to get working with Linux. Under DOS,
I was using the SCSI port on a ProAudioSpectrum 16 sound card, but I bought
the NEC 16-bit AT160 adaptor because the PAS SCSI didn't support the
triple-speed capability.  Now, to the questions.

First, can an NEC 3Xe be used at all with Linux?
Can the NEC 16-bit AT160 be used (given that the address is known) with
already written drivers?
If not, I know that the kernel recognizes the PAS16 (in fact, I already recompiled
it just to see if it would work), so, would the 3Xe work with it.  I found a NEC 260 patch
at Sunsite, but the 3Xe is something like the CDR-500.  As you can tell, I need some
guidance.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  BTW, I have read the CD-ROM
HOW-TO.

mjl

2. Need Docu_Direction...

3. sb16/SCSI2 + NEC CDR-510 + Micropolis SCSI disk won't boot

4. Samba for home net?

5. Help wanted on NEC 451 as 2nd drive / Aladin 510 SCSI/PCI Ethernet

6. need libraries, where???

7. scsi (aha 1542) + cdrom (nec 3xi) help needed

8. Debugging full-screen programs?

9. Volume problem with xmcd 1.3 / PAS16 SCSI / NEC CDR-500 (3x) cdrom

10. Installation won't mount CD NEC 3xi on SoundBlaster SCSI-2

11. NEC 3Xi & Soundblaster 16/ASP/SCSI

12. Installing Linux with NEC SCSI-2 CD-ROM (Multispin 3xi)

13. NEC 3xi Scsi CD Problems: