no NFS in 2.2.12 - name resolver broken ?

no NFS in 2.2.12 - name resolver broken ?

Post by Peter Ste » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Recently I tried adding NFS to my 2 Linux PCs which are
networked together. For the server I added nfs support
via modules, for the client I built nfs support into
the kernel. I basically followed the steps recommended
by the NFS HOWTO. Prior to attempting a mount from the
client I verified that rpcbind, mountd, and nfsd are
all running on the server and verified that all the
configuration files were correct. Everything looked
good. So what happens?

When I attempt to mount from the client machine I get
a "permission denied" error. Looking at /var/log/messages
on the server reveals a curious mountd message, something
like "permission denied for xxx.yyy.zzz, no export",
where xxx.yyy.zzz is the correct fully qualified name for
the client. I'm guessing that by "no export" the message
means that an appropriate entry is missing from /etc/exports.
That is not the case. I've studied the man page for exports
very carefully and have tried all possible legal permutations,
even trying public access, but the outcome is always the same.

I can only guess that the name resolver must be broken. That's
the only plausible explanation that fits the evidence. This
seems to have occured for others too since the NFS HOWTO
states problems can occur "if the server can't do a
lookuphostbyname or lookuphostbyaddr". If this is indeed the
problem how can it be fixed? Will I need to run a name server
just to get NFS working (shouldn't be neccessary because /etc/hosts,
/etc/resolv.conf, and /etc/host.conf are all properly set up) ?

Peter Stein