Help with Kernel Panic

Post by go.. » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I need help.. I tryed to install Redhat but when it is trying to load into
linux it gave me this error.

Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 16:00

What am I supposed to do?

1. Help with kernel panic!

I tried to update my kernel from 2.4.18 to 2.4.20 by using one of the
images available through dselect.  I chose the one that appeared to be
the full image (not compact, not pciide or whatever else was there, just
the vanilla one).  It had to install a bunch of packages for
dependencies apparently (surprised me that the kernel depends on
anything, but then I'm a newbie).  It put everything in place, ran LILO
for me, and it switched to the new kernel.

I rebooted, and it ran the new kernel, but kernel panics every time
looking to mount the root fs.

I think it's because my drives are all on a PCI IDE card, not on the
bios supplied one, primarily because I need it to support very large
drives and my bios only handles up to 32gb drives.  If I switch LILO
back to use the old one, it boots fine and no problems.  So I know
everything is fine in hardware, but I think I'm missing a driver.

Question: how do I install drivers into a kernel that isn't booted
currently? I don't have kernel source and wasn't planning on compiling
it myself.  Or is there something else obvious that I didn't do right?
Should I have picked one of the other kernel images?

Thanks a lot!
JH
(please cc: my email p a n t h e r A T a u s t i n . r r . c o m)

2. Wanting info on alternative hardware

3. Help with Kernel Panic error

4. Q: XFree86-3.3 : ix86 <-> ix86-glibc ?

5. Help please: kernel panic on shutdown

6. Dead SCSI disk?

7. HELP NEEDED: kernel panic:VFS:....unable to mount fs on 08:01 ??

8. to grep some some value

9. Help with kernel panic

10. HELP!->Kernel panic on unloading modules...

11. Help for kernel panic

12. Help - My kernel panicked!

13. Need help with kernel panic on Slackware 4.0