Mounting Mac Volume

Post by Robert Mean » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Howdy,
        Does anyone out there have a good solution for mounting a remote
mac volume for use on Linux? So, most of our network is Mac and we use
appletalk/appleshare to mount the hard drive on the desktop. Is there any
easy was to do this with Linux (RH5.1)? I have TKChooser2 which lets me
see the volumes, but I can't seem to get apafs (I think it is called) to
compile so that I can mount using TKChooser. Also, as a side note, what is
the most graphical/easy way to set up appleprinters? Again, I can see them
on TKChooser, but printing to them is a pain. You have to print to a file
and then go into TKChooser, select a printer and then select your print
file. I don't know enough TCL/TK to automate this. Any help would be
great.
Bob

Mounting Mac Volume

Post by Kelvin Leu » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

May be you can try netatalk. But I'm not sure you can mount your Mac
volume to the Linux machine. Check this out, search netatalk in yahoo.com
and you'll see the website.

Kelvin

> Howdy,
>         Does anyone out there have a good solution for mounting a remote
> mac volume for use on Linux? So, most of our network is Mac and we use
> appletalk/appleshare to mount the hard drive on the desktop. Is there any
> easy was to do this with Linux (RH5.1)? I have TKChooser2 which lets me
> see the volumes, but I can't seem to get apafs (I think it is called) to
> compile so that I can mount using TKChooser. Also, as a side note, what is
> the most graphical/easy way to set up appleprinters? Again, I can see them
> on TKChooser, but printing to them is a pain. You have to print to a file
> and then go into TKChooser, select a printer and then select your print
> file. I don't know enough TCL/TK to automate this. Any help would be
> great.
> Bob

1. How do I mount a Mac volume or export a partition to a Mac?

I've got netatalk installed on my Redhat 6.1 system and I can telnet
from the Mac to the Linux system and I can ping the Mac from the Linux
box so the boxes can see each other. However nothing shows up in the
chooser on the Mac and I haven't been able to do a mount of the Mac
shared folders on the Linux box. What protocol do I specify in
/etc/fstab to mount the Mac folder? I've tried both nfs which failed
with a "Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive" error, no surprise
there I don't think a Mac understands NFS, and I took a random shot by
trying atalk which got a "mount: fs type atalk not supported by kernel"
error.

boris:/misc/shared      /mnt/boris      atalk
user,exec,dev,suid,rw,noauto,rsize=1024,wsize=1024 0 0

Also what do I need to do so that the Linux box can serve files to the
Mac. I put the Mac's IP address in my hosts file and I included the Mac
in my /etc/exports file. What else do I need to do?

Thanks,

Josh

2. How can I change the setting of security manager in servlet?

3. Linux <--> Mac Best way to mount NFS volume on a Mac or....?

4. redhat 5.2 boot scripts and lilo

5. How to mount AIX volume on Mac?

6. Synchronous serial driver

7. How to mount a Mac volume on Linux?

8. Hardware compatibility for IBM Pentium II machines?

9. Mounting a Mac volume on Linux???

10. Mounting Volume Manager File Systems without the Volume Manager software

11. ext2 partition, filesystem management - fstab, mount, volume-label, volume-name

12. Netware Mount - no file truncation on mounted volume.

13. comp.sys.mac.misc comp.sys.mac.system comp.sys.mac.apps