ELF & linux & DOS & cross-compiling

Post by Mark Bergm » Wed, 31 May 1995 04:00:00

I'm using linux as the platform for some software development for a
program that will be used under linux and MS-DOS. For the dos version,
I'm planning on using linux to compile an a.out version and then use
the DJGCC (dos port of GNU-GCC) utilities with the DJGCC extender to
run the dos version.

Will the change to ELF format prevent the creation of a.out
executables?  Will alternate libraries be available?

---
Mark Bergman    Biker, IATSE #1 Stagehand, Unix mechanic

I want a newsgroup with a infinite S/N ratio! Now taking CFV on:

rec.motorcycles.stagehands.pet-bird-owners.pinballers.ex-unix-supporters
        5 So Far

Post by Bobby Shm » Fri, 02 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>I'm using linux as the platform for some software development for a
>program that will be used under linux and MS-DOS. For the dos version,
>I'm planning on using linux to compile an a.out version and then use
>the DJGCC (dos port of GNU-GCC) utilities with the DJGCC extender to
>run the dos version.

>Will the change to ELF format prevent the creation of a.out
>executables?  Will alternate libraries be available?

the change to ELF will not affect this as long as you keep your a.out libs around.
--

----------------------------------------+ into my `Home for Neglected Atogs'
crazy overcast/ash grey wording         | at NO CHARGE TO YOU! (housed: 416)

Post by Manuel Galan More » Sun, 04 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: >I'm using linux as the platform for some software development for a
: >program that will be used under linux and MS-DOS. For the dos version,
: >I'm planning on using linux to compile an a.out version and then use
: >the DJGCC (dos port of GNU-GCC) utilities with the DJGCC extender to
: >run the dos version.
: >
: >Will the change to ELF format prevent the creation of a.out
: >executables?  Will alternate libraries be available?

: the change to ELF will not affect this as long as you keep your a.out libs around.
: --

: ----------------------------------------+ into my `Home for Neglected Atogs'
: crazy overcast/ash grey wording               | at NO CHARGE TO YOU! (housed: 416)
:               - Nature's Revenge      | Email me for more information.

Well, this seems an interesting question for the wizards of Linux executable
format internals (HJL -thanks-).

Anyway I guess that if djgpp format is a.out then the only thing that you
need is to __compile__ with '-b i486-linuxaout' key, I see no need
to keep around a.out libraries as the a.out gcc compiler itself is in ELF
format!!!

Obviously you will __not__ use linux libc but djgpp libc to link.

Manolo

:
: Will the change to ELF format prevent the creation of a.out
: executables?  Will alternate libraries be available?

D.J. Delorie, creator of the DJGCC system has announced that DJGCC
will be converting to ELF too so that he can leverage work done
for Linux into DJGCC. I don't know what the exact time frame is, but
in coming months both DJGCC and Linux will be using the exact same
ELF object file format.

ELF & linux & DOS & cross-compiling

Post by H. Peter Anv » Tue, 20 Jun 1995 04:00:00

In newsgroup: comp.os.linux.development.system

Quote:

> D.J. Delorie, creator of the DJGCC system has announced that DJGCC
> will be converting to ELF too so that he can leverage work done
> for Linux into DJGCC. I don't know what the exact time frame is, but
> in coming months both DJGCC and Linux will be using the exact same
> ELF object file format.

Wouldn't it be nice if the DJGCC libs and Linux could be used in
conjunction to produce either an MS-DOS binary or a Linux binary from
the same sources with minimal changes (e.g. pathnames)?

        /hpa

--

"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens."  --  Baha'u'llah

Post by Manuel Galan More » Wed, 21 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: In newsgroup: comp.os.linux.development.system
: >
: > D.J. Delorie, creator of the DJGCC system has announced that DJGCC
: > will be converting to ELF too so that he can leverage work done
: > for Linux into DJGCC. I don't know what the exact time frame is, but
: > in coming months both DJGCC and Linux will be using the exact same
: > ELF object file format.
: >

Sorry to say that D.J. Delorie, sent a kind e-mail to me on this subject
saying that he will keep COFF specification as WIN-NT uses this
binary format :-(.

If you are doing GJGPP/Linux cross-development, keep around
your '-b i486-linuxaout' working.

Regards,
Manolo