Dateformat of tar

Post by Tedd » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 20:15:35

I tried to use the switch -N of GNU tar. But how is the dateformat of
this switch? tar --help does not tel me anything.

Regs
Teddy

Dateformat of tar

Post by paroiko » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 20:20:47

> I tried to use the switch -N of GNU tar. But how is the dateformat of
> this switch? tar --help does not tel me anything.

> Regs
> Teddy

how about man tar ?

Dateformat of tar

Post by Peter T. Breue » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 20:57:27

> I tried to use the switch -N of GNU tar. But how is the dateformat of
> this switch? tar --help does not tel me anything.

Should it? Use info tar:

  * Date input formats::

Peter

1. tar -xvf mozilla.tar = tar: directory checksum error

hi

I have downloaded the mozilla source twice from their web site. I
download it at school using RH 7.1 & 6.2 and then I copyed it onto my
zip disk and carried it home and ftp it from my RH 7.1 machine to
solaris. both times and also once when I made a tar of my own I get a
directory checksum error. I am very sure the files are the correct size.

I see that I have options to use -i ignore with the solaris tar program
and I use star and it extracts without error.

Does anyone else consistently get errors with solaris's tar program and
large file's?. I don't get any error's when I gunzip or bunzip2 them.

It seems funny- I have always used gzip and bzip to sort of protect my
tar files from checksum errors I always expect to get the error with
them first.

Is it the mozilla download?  or is it the diffrence between- every one
else using a diffrent version of tar like gnu? or can anyone see
anything I am doing wrong?

I never get errors with small files < 20 meg that I can remember, but
the last couple mozilla and the one I made were a little over 200meg
uncompressed.

THis isn't really a big problem because star and -i work but I am still
very concerned about the stability of my files.

Thanks
dm

2. character device i/o

3. Wanted: rcmd host tar x_?_vqf file.tar file1 ... fileN | tar xvf -

4. Sparc SILO config

5. tar won't tar!

6. Which of these Printers?

7. backup multiple tar-files on a tape using tar and mt - command

8. Sony VAIO 220 and X

9. Extracting files with tar and uncompress fails with tar: Archive - EOF not on block boundary

10. "rm -rf /usr/ports" before "tar -xvzf ports.tar.gz"???

11. tar & mt command. Getting Tar:Unexpected EOF

12. How does one compres files in this .tar.gz .Z and .tar.Z

13. tar linux vs tar unix AIX