SUSE 6.1 Permission differences between running a program from rc.d versus root

SUSE 6.1 Permission differences between running a program from rc.d versus root

Post by Michael Samso » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

My problem occurs on SUSE 6.1 (and not on Redhat).

Are their any types of permission differences from running a program from
rc2.d as compared to running a program from the command line (while logged
in as root)?

I am having a cu /dev/modem "/var/lock/tmpfile" access problem when my
program runs during startup (from the rc2.d).

If I kill the program and run it manually when logged in as root, the cu
access problems disappear.

Does anybody have a clue to as what is going on?

Thanks,
Mike Samson

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

SUSE 6.1 Permission differences between running a program from rc.d versus root

Post by Steve Housem » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I am having a cu /dev/modem "/var/lock/tmpfile" access problem when my
> program runs during startup (from the rc2.d).

Dont know the answer but just a couple of thoughts ...
- is the /var/lock file system mounted when running the cu cmd?
- if so then instead of directly running it use a script to log
  debug output to a tmp file say /tmp/cujunk eg
  #!/bin/bash
  id >> /tmp/cujunk
  echo "........" >> /tmp/cujunk # seperator
  ls -ald /var/lock/tmpfile     >> /tmp/cujunk
  env                           >> /tmp/cujunk
  rm  /var/lock/tmpfile
  echo "file removed etc......" >> /tmp/cujunk
  ls -ald /var/lock/tmpfile     >> /tmp/cujunk
  (beware my script writing is a little lacking)
  put in owt else that might be useful  and
  and then examine this after the boot.
  If this doesnt show owt then maybe replace the debug script idea
  with a debug strace on the cu cmd
  with the output to a temp file ... may show something (and might not).

A  problem that appears occasionally , is the lack of PATH with
chron jobs,  so maybe something is lacking in the env during the
boot that cu needs ?

Hope you fix it soon,
Cheers,
Steve Houseman

--

currently  steve.houseman at * net

SUSE 6.1 Permission differences between running a program from rc.d versus root

Post by David Schwart » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

        There could be resource limits in force later. Now a program could,
theoretically, change its resource limits (since it has root
permissions) but most programs don't do so.

        This most commonly happens when someone su's to root and then runs
Apache. Whoops, Apache now has the same process limit the user who su'd
has.

        It's inelegant, but I usually remove all resource limits from users who
are likely to su.

        DS

> My problem occurs on SUSE 6.1 (and not on Redhat).

> Are their any types of permission differences from running a program from

> rc2.d as compared to running a program from the command line (while logged

> in as root)?

> I am having a cu /dev/modem "/var/lock/tmpfile" access problem when my

> program runs during startup (from the rc2.d).

> If I kill the program and run it manually when logged in as root, the cu

> access problems disappear.

> Does anybody have a clue to as what is going on?

> Thanks,

> Mike Samson

>                     http://www.searchlinux.com

1. Netscape 4.51 versus SuSE 6.1

Hello everyone!

I finally achieved a PPPconnection to my ISP and was very happy I could
do my email and so on with Linux now, when I became the following
problem.

I use SuSE Linux 6.1, updated from SuSE 5.3 . I also installed Netscape
4.51 directly from the SuSE-CDROMs. Sometimes I succeeded in running
Netscape but most of the time it starts with the following error
message:

"ERROR: libc.so.5: cannot open shared object file: no such file or
directory
Can't load plugin /usr/X11R6/Acrobat/Browsers/Intellinux/nppdf.so.
Ignored"

Netscape starts up, but as soon as I touch any button it freezes and has
to be killed manually. What was my mistake?

Thanks a lot
Thomas Neumeier

2. How to make a multicast group?

3. difference between /etc/rc.sysinit and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit ?

4. 2.4.20-rc3 ext3 fsck corruption -- tool update warning needed?

5. SuSE 6.1 rc.conf

6. Software to let you watch another's session

7. SuSE Linux 6.1 & PPPIOCGUNIT Permission denied Error?

8. Please Help!

9. Permissions and SuSE Linux 6.1

10. which user does /etc/rc.d/rc.local / rc.sysinit run as?

11. xwin32 and suse 6.1 (as root)

12. starting a program at boot-time, suse 6.1