where is boot.b

Post by mark » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 05:49:52

Hi all,
I compiled the kernel today and when i tried to run lilo i got this error
message:
Fatal: boot.b no such file or directory.
I may have deleted this file by accident from /boot.
is there is a way i can recreate this file ?
what is the way out ?

note: i am running redhat 7.0

thanx
mark

where is boot.b

Post by c.. » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 23:45:00

hi, i just ran into this myself
if boot.b is deleted, re-install lilo
in other words, get the rpm off the cd and type rpm -Uvh lilo* --force

re-config your /etc/lilo.conf
run /sbin/lilo -t -v to verify that you lilo script is good
if it is, run /sbin/lilo -v

boot.b is the lilo boot sector

i hope this helps
charles

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 12:49:52 -0800, "mark"

>Hi all,
>I compiled the kernel today and when i tried to run lilo i got this error
>message:
>Fatal: boot.b no such file or directory.
>I may have deleted this file by accident from /boot.
>is there is a way i can recreate this file ?
>what is the way out ?

>note: i am running redhat 7.0

>thanx
>mark

where is boot.b

Post by Tauno Voipi » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 01:35:24

> hi, i just ran into this myself
> if boot.b is deleted, re-install lilo
> in other words, get the rpm off the cd and type rpm -Uvh lilo* --force

> re-config your /etc/lilo.conf
> run /sbin/lilo -t -v to verify that you lilo script is good
> if it is, run /sbin/lilo -v

> boot.b is the lilo boot sector

> i hope this helps
> charles

> On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 12:49:52 -0800, "mark"

> >Hi all,
> >I compiled the kernel today and when i tried to run lilo i got this error
> >message:
> >Fatal: boot.b no such file or directory.
> >I may have deleted this file by accident from /boot.
> >is there is a way i can recreate this file ?
> >what is the way out ?

The normal location for LILO second stage loader is /boot/boot.b.

If it is lost, LILO needs to be reloaded from the setup CD.

Tauno Voipio

says...

I admire your passion, Chris..

The only issues which have kept myself from looking seriously at Linux
would be:

* It's Unix and the learning curve to start getting productive strikes me
as probably very steep

* It doesn't support plug-and-play.  If your hardware doesn't have Linux
drivers, it don't play..

* Not nearly the amount of developers out there doing stuff for Linux as
there are for Wintel.  Can I get MS Office for Linux?  Can I get
Photoshop for Linux?  Can I get QuarkXpress for Linux? etc.. a big turn
off for me.

--
Reuben King
Email: "reuben at texas dot net" (in plain english to foil spam-bots.

2. narrow SCSI strimmer -> wide bus

3. Death telnet

5. CDR Backup with large partition.

6. Am I touchy? Or am I right?

7. USB lockup in 2.4.18-pre8 <-- typo 2.4.19-pre8

11. I am si**y am I?

12. I am getting a few error lines on boot up that I can't identify.