Help w/ setuid-root please?

Post by Dave Critell » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hello:

I can run pppd in root with no problems but when I try to run it as a
(non-root) user I get the following message;

/usr/sbin/pppd: must be root to run /usr/sbin/pppd, since it is not
setuid-root

What does this mean and how do I circumvent it?

Thanks.
Dave

Help w/ setuid-root please?

Post by Bit Twist » Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:00:00

As root         chmod +s /usr/sbin/pppd

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000 22:08:18 -0500, Dave Critelli

--
The warrenty and liability expired as you read the message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

1. Help with setuid-root

As root, I've created scripts that dial my ISP and retreive mail.  I want
another user to have access to run these scripts.  When they try, they get
the error 'must be root to run /usr/sbin/pppd, since it is not setuid-root'
.  I have this user in a group called dialout and /usr/sbin/pppd is set as
"-rwxr-xr-x   1    root   dialout ".  Whats wrong.  Any help appreciated!

2. apxs: What is error 16777215?

3. help: pppd and setuid-root problem

4. nfs problems

5. Need help with setuid() problems on 386/ix with setuid root program.

6. Q: Hmmm FDIV i586 bug

7. Security holes in VGA setuid-root utils

8. MFC in Linux

9. setuid-root and rsh?

10. setuid-root ? basic questions

11. setuid-root programs and pipes to other processes

12. Core dump and setuid-root

13. Safe setuid-root shell script?