i hate it i hate it it is pissing me off

i hate it i hate it it is pissing me off

Post by Ken Rang » Sat, 22 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote: Galloway) writes:

:>
:>ahahahahahahahahahhhhhhh i need to get this out i have installed linux
:>after countless problems i got linux running after countless more problems
:>and then when i try to get xwindows running or any prog in linux to run i
:>run into more promblems ahahahahahaaaaaa i hate it am i stupid or
:>something?why is this so dificult i have a book that is supposed to tell me
:>how to do this but it is all wrong (the book came with the cd and all the
:>files it says in the book arent there)sorry about this i just needed to let
:>it out

This by chance isn't the "Special Edition -- Using Linux" by Que is it??
I'm having the same damn problem.  Guess I'll have to stick to my OS/2
partition for now.

--
Ken Rangen

Happily WARPing along...

Post by Sam Trenhol » Sat, 22 Jul 1995 04:00:00

--
Sam Trenholme - Any views and beliefs are strictly my own, not LLNL's
PGP IDs: 512/8551E401, 1024/02991DCD http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~set

Post by S. L » Sat, 22 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>ahahahahahahahahahhhhhhh i need to get this out i have installed linux
>after countless problems i got linux running after countless more problems
>and then when i try to get xwindows running or any prog in linux to run i
>run into more promblems ahahahahahaaaaaa i hate it am i stupid or
>something?why is this so dificult i have a book that is supposed to tell me
>how to do this but it is all wrong (the book came with the cd and all the
>files it says in the book arent there)sorry about this i just needed to let
>it out

You probably got a bad book.  Why don't you tell us what it is so we can
avoid it?

If you have a specific problem, post it and we'll see if we can help.

Witty .sig under construction.

i hate it i hate it it is pissing me off

Post by Fredste » Sun, 23 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>:>how to do this but it is all wrong (the book came with the cd and all the
>:>files it says in the book arent there)sorry about this i just needed to let
>:>it out

>This by chance isn't the "Special Edition -- Using Linux" by Que is it??
>I'm having the same damn problem.  Guess I'll have to stick to my OS/2
>partition for now.

I got started with the book Linux Configuration and Installation from MIS
publishing. It came with Slakeware 2.3 CD, and while it took me 3 weeks to
finally figure out how to mount a floppy,<G> I got everything running ok.

I'd definately recommend this book...

Post by Joe Ma » Sun, 23 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>ahahahahahahahahahhhhhhh i need to get this out i have installed linux
>after countless problems i got linux running after countless more problems
>and then when i try to get xwindows running or any prog in linux to run i
>run into more promblems ahahahahahaaaaaa i hate it am i stupid or
>something?why is this so dificult i have a book that is supposed to tell me
>how to do this but it is all wrong (the book came with the cd and all the
>files it says in the book arent there)sorry about this i just needed to let
>it out

Hey I;ve taken 7 months to do the same thing. Took all my spare time and
I already had a nice DOS system that I was happy with. My book wasn't any
better than your and I still don't have the printer right. My girlfriend
says that no woman would put up with this. Got to go, just downloaded
amd, am going to try to mount all the files onto my home directory the
hard way, just to see if I can do it. Hehehehehehehehahahahahahaha

Post by L. Adrian Griff » Mon, 24 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>>:>how to do this but it is all wrong (the book came with the cd and all the
>>:>files it says in the book arent there)sorry about this i just needed to let
>>:>it out

>>This by chance isn't the "Special Edition -- Using Linux" by Que is it??
>>I'm having the same damn problem.  Guess I'll have to stick to my OS/2
>>partition for now.

What sort of trouble did you have?  The setup command should step you
through it all pretty nicely, until you get to X.  Did you have some
sort of unusual hardware, or were you trying to boot from SCSI?

The problems with XFree86 are well known, from what I hear.  I had
to bypass the configuration scripts and fiddle with the config file
directly.  There's a program called "SuperProbe" (if I remember right)
that will attempt to tell you what it can about your hardware.  Also,
most of the servers will probe for things like clock rates for you,
if you don't specify them.  You should look over the man pages
thoroughly.  In addition, there is a document titled "The Hitchhiker's
Guide to X386/XFree86 Vido Timing" (I don't remember the file name)
somewhere in the documentation for Linux and XFree86.

Even though this worked for me, I have to admit I was a little
uneasy about doing it;  I've heard that you can damage your monitor
by programming your VGA card wrong, and the process of finding out
all this timing stuff on your own can involve some experimentation.

Quote:>I got started with the book Linux Configuration and Installation from MIS
>publishing. It came with Slakeware 2.3 CD, and while it took me 3 weeks to
>finally figure out how to mount a floppy,<G> I got everything running ok.

>I'd definately recommend this book...

It only took me a few hours to do the install and get Linux running
without any book at all, and while I'd like to be able to brag about
this, it just didn't require any of my vast technical expertise 8-).
Seriously, I'm surprised the "setup" program didn't take care of you.
Of course, I haven't tried to mount a floppy yet.

XFree86 was another matter, but I thought that was because of  my
Packard Bell's VGA interface.

---

Modesty is NOT a virtue;  It's simply an easier vice to endure than conceit.

Post by Phil Howa » Wed, 26 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>ahahahahahahahahahhhhhhh i need to get this out i have installed linux
>after countless problems i got linux running after countless more problems
>and then when i try to get xwindows running or any prog in linux to run i
>run into more promblems ahahahahahaaaaaa i hate it am i stupid or
>something?why is this so dificult i have a book that is supposed to tell me
>how to do this but it is all wrong (the book came with the cd and all the
>files it says in the book arent there)sorry about this i just needed to let
>it out

ahahahahahahahahahhhhhhh i need to get this out i have read these posts
countless times i try to help after countless posts and the i follow up
with more help but the posters seem to not tell me what it is they are
trying to do, what they want to do, and what they are doing it with or
am i dumb or stupid or something for not figuring it all out myself?
why is this so difficult to not say which book it is or what the effects
of the problem are and what cd it is (and all that stuff)sorry about this
i just needed to let it out
--
Phil Howard KA9WGN      | The cows are loose!
Unix/Internet/Sys Admin |      Find out how YOU can help.

Post by G. E. Ter » Fri, 18 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>>This by chance isn't the "Special Edition -- Using Linux" by Que is it??
>>I'm having the same damn problem.  Guess I'll have to stick to my OS/2
>>partition for now.

>I got started with the book Linux Configuration and Installation from MIS
>publishing. It came with Slakeware 2.3 CD, and while it took me 3 weeks to
>finally figure out how to mount a floppy,<G> I got everything running ok.

>I'd definately recommend this book...

I also have this book... I bought it last Friday (Aug 11) and installed it that
night, and by Saturday noon time had Xwindows running... By Monday 6pm (had to
go to work) I had it accepting dialup logins...

This is a very good book & CD combo.... I strongly recommend it..

                                  Meet me on IRC #WIN95-NET
Look here for some real boring stuff:'http://www1.aksi.net/~gterry/index.html

1. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

Muy buenas!!!,
Le escribo ya que tengo algunos problemas y dudas acerca de linux.
Espero que tu/Usted me pueda hechar una mano, ya que poco a poco me
estoy desesperando... He escrito muchsimos emilios a los diferentes
grupos de noticias, pero nadie me puede ayudar...:
Desde principios del verano del 97, llevo utilizando la versin de
S.u.S.E. Linux 5.2 (Krnl: 2.0.33, Xfree:3.3.2, con la version beta del
KDE.) Es la versin alemana que incluye 4 CD`s...
Mis dudas son:
1. ?Linux es compatible con mi procesador K6-2 a 350Mhz? Supongo que si,
ya que funciona,,, pero he odo algo por lo del cach de segundo
nivl...He odo que hace falta un patch para Linux que haga que Linux
utilice el cach de segundo nivel...?Es verdad?
2.En mi otro ordenador (un Pentium 133 con tarjeta grfica S3 Virge) he
conseguido hacer que funcione todo perfectamente. Todo, incluido el
entorno grfico...
Pero en mi nuevo ordenador (un K6-2/350 en placa ASUS P5A con tarjeta
grfica Trident 3DImge975 de 4 Mb) no consigo configurar el entorno
grfico. Cuando intento configurar la tarjeta grfica, con el programa
incluido en mi versin S.u.S.E. "YaST" o bien con el programa estndar,
me sale una ventana peque?a (ms o menos de 4cm de alto y tan ancha como
la pantalla) con mil lineas movindose de desordenadamente... Levemente
se v, que es el entorno grfico de "FVWM2"...pero en ese estado no se
puede hacer nada de nada...Me paso a la consola desde la cual he
ejecutado "startx" y presiono Ctrl&C...Desde la primera consola al
parecer no aparecen errores y parece estar todo bien...He probado mil
configuraciones diferentes de resolucin y colores pero nada,
tampoco...Mi targeta (Trident 3d Imge 975) est en la base de datos de
las targetas soportadas, pero aun as no la reconoce bien. En la caja de
versin de Linux pone que mi targeta est soportada, y ms alante pone
que estn soportadas experimentalmente y adems sin aceleracin... Esto
ltimo (que est en modo experimental) lo acabo de ver ahora y no me lo
imaginaba... <---puede ser que mi problema sea por los drivers??? A ver
si ahora me conecto, mando este mensaje y busco el driver
acutalizado...   Ahora que he visto que los drivers, para mi tarjeta
grfica, que incluye mi versin de Linux son experimentales me parece un
poco estpida haberte hecho esta pregunta... pero an as gracias por
leerla...
3. Por ltimo,: ?Sabes de algn programa para entrar en Internet por
RED? Para que desde el Pentium pueda entrar en internet con el K6. Tipo
"Internet-Share"....      Muchas gracias en adelanto, Daniel     --->

2. v100,solaris 9, access usb port

3. Please Help....it′s a very small thing!!!!.PLEASE

4. Neoware Motherboard

5. Help me !!!!!! I have no Idea it′s crucial

6. problems detecing NIC

7. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

8. Build OpenOffice on/for AIX

9. Terminfo (vi HATE HATE! :-)

10. SCSI, we hates it, we hates it forever

11. BM hates Linux, LILO hates OS/2

12. Do you hate CAPS LOCK as much as I do??