Paintshop Pro-Like Paint Program for Linux?

Paintshop Pro-Like Paint Program for Linux?

Post by Google Mi » Wed, 07 May 2003 22:20:48

Those of you might not know of a successful Windows program called
JASC Paintshop Pro, not to be confused with Adobe Photoshop. I had
become *ed to its featureset and ease of use over the years. Now,
however, I'm on Red Hat 8 Linux and I need the same thing as I am a
Java web developer. Gimp can do some things, but in my opinion it is
not as user-friendly as Paintshop Pro. I often get confused in Gimp on
how to carry out a task, such as how to increase the canvas size
without stretch the image and without creating a transparent area in
the new canvas space.

Has anyone considered making a clone of Paintshop Pro for Linux, or
perhaps ported the source?

Paintshop Pro-Like Paint Program for Linux?

Post by Neil Moor » Thu, 08 May 2003 00:43:04

Quote:> Those of you might not know of a successful Windows program called
> JASC Paintshop Pro, not to be confused with Adobe Photoshop. I had
> become *ed to its featureset and ease of use over the years. Now,
> however, I'm on Red Hat 8 Linux and I need the same thing as I am a
> Java web developer. Gimp can do some things, but in my opinion it is
> not as user-friendly as Paintshop Pro. I often get confused in Gimp on
> how to carry out a task, such as how to increase the canvas size
> without stretch the image and without creating a transparent area in
> the new canvas space.

> Has anyone considered making a clone of Paintshop Pro for Linux, or
> perhaps ported the source?

You could try running PSP with WINE, or ask about particular gripes you have
with GIMP and use it.

Neil

Post by anc » Thu, 08 May 2003 02:15:54

> Those of you might not know of a successful Windows program called
> JASC Paintshop Pro, not to be confused with Adobe Photoshop. I had
> become *ed to its featureset and ease of use over the years. Now,
> however, I'm on Red Hat 8 Linux and I need the same thing as I am a
> Java web developer. Gimp can do some things, but in my opinion it is
> not as user-friendly as Paintshop Pro. I often get confused in Gimp on
> how to carry out a task, such as how to increase the canvas size
> without stretch the image and without creating a transparent area in
> the new canvas space.

> Has anyone considered making a clone of Paintshop Pro for Linux, or
> perhaps ported the source?

Have a look at Sketch, it is easy to draw lines and shapes and if you need
any special features you can always save the image and import it into gimp.

Paintshop Pro-Like Paint Program for Linux?

Post by Carl Fin » Thu, 08 May 2003 01:34:10

xpaint?
--

Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum
<http://dm.net>

Paintshop Pro-Like Paint Program for Linux?

Post by Mike Dougla » Thu, 08 May 2003 10:01:30

PSP works great under win4lin.

--
To reply remove SPAMLESS from my address
Mike Douglas

Post by Google Mi » Fri, 09 May 2003 23:18:39

> PSP works great under win4lin.

Thanks. I tried the latest WINE which I picked up from:

http://www.winehq.com/

I had to put the files under /usr/share/wine-c/Program Files/PSP and then copy
all the MSV*.DLL and MFC*.DLL files from a W2K system into the
/usr/share/wine-c/system directory.

Then, from command-line, I was able to use "cd" to change to that directory
and then type "wine Psp.exe" (case-sensitive) in order for it to launch.

1. PaintShop Pro like program for Linux?

Can anybody recomend a (preferbly) free
program for Linux along the lines of
PaintShop Pro?  Preferbly something a bit
more up-to-date than xpaint.

I know about GIMP, and use it often, but
I could use a program more for drawing
than fixing photos.

I'm mostly interested in bitmap-drawing,
but if you know of a good program for
vector-drawing, that would be interesting
too.

Also, are there any good programs to help
creating GIF (and other?) animations?

BTW, are there any Linux-programs for
making Flash-animations?

-Koppe

2. Question about network speed.

3. Paintshop Pro type software...

4. GDB and Shared Libraries

5. Graphics Software like Paint Shop Pro fro Linux ?

6. test

7. Paint Shop Pro for Linux?

8. blocking some www web pages

9. QUESTION: Paint program for linux/tinyX

10. X11/Linux Paint program...

11. painting programs for Linux?

12. GIMP vs. Paint Shop Pro

13. Paint Shop Pro Installation