locked directory? No access rights as root?

locked directory? No access rights as root?

Post by Terr » Tue, 09 Jan 2001 02:11:45

I've been using Linux-Mandrake 7.2 for a few weeks now.  A couple days
ago, I tried adding a creative dvd decoder card with a passthrough cable
for my regular video card.  Things seemed to be okay until I tried
accessing the cdrom.  I get the error message that I "don't have the
access rights to this location".  I then noticed the same thing with the
floppy.  I used konqueror and the cdrom and floppy icons have little
padlocks on them.  I tried accessing them as root to no avail.  I looked
at my /etc/fstab file and it looks like I'm using supermount.  I open
the cd tray place a cd in it, then click on the desktop cdrom icon and
the tray closes, lights go on, etc, then the same old message about not
having the rights.  I tried creating another icon on the desktop- this
didn't work either.  I removed the dvd decoder card and nothing's
changed.  Is there a way to unlock these things?  I'm a relative newbie
at this so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Terry Wagner

locked directory? No access rights as root?

Post by lenn » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 01:19:04

Quote:> I've been using Linux-Mandrake 7.2 for a few weeks now.  A couple days
> ago, I tried adding a creative dvd decoder card with a passthrough cable
> for my regular video card.  Things seemed to be okay until I tried
> accessing the cdrom.  I get the error message that I "don't have the
> access rights to this location".  I then noticed the same thing with the
> floppy.  I used konqueror and the cdrom and floppy icons have little
> padlocks on them.  I tried accessing them as root to no avail.  I looked
> at my /etc/fstab file and it looks like I'm using supermount.  I open
> the cd tray place a cd in it, then click on the desktop cdrom icon and
> the tray closes, lights go on, etc, then the same old message about not
> having the rights.  I tried creating another icon on the desktop- this
> didn't work either.  I removed the dvd decoder card and nothing's
> changed.  Is there a way to unlock these things?  I'm a relative newbie
> at this so any help is much appreciated.

> Thanks, Terry Wagner

I see no one else is answering this
so here are my thoughts..

not sure but you can try as root
chmod 544 /mnt/cdrom

Post by Terry Wagne » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:43:35

> > I've been using Linux-Mandrake 7.2 for a few weeks now.  A couple days
> > ago, I tried adding a creative dvd decoder card with a passthrough cable
> > for my regular video card.  Things seemed to be okay until I tried
> > accessing the cdrom.  I get the error message that I "don't have the
> > access rights to this location".  I then noticed the same thing with the
> > floppy.  I used konqueror and the cdrom and floppy icons have little
> > padlocks on them.  I tried accessing them as root to no avail.  I looked
> > at my /etc/fstab file and it looks like I'm using supermount.  I open
> > the cd tray place a cd in it, then click on the desktop cdrom icon and
> > the tray closes, lights go on, etc, then the same old message about not
> > having the rights.  I tried creating another icon on the desktop- this
> > didn't work either.  I removed the dvd decoder card and nothing's
> > changed.  Is there a way to unlock these things?  I'm a relative newbie
> > at this so any help is much appreciated.

> > Thanks, Terry Wagner

> I see no one else is answering this
> so here are my thoughts..

> not sure but you can try as root
> chmod 544 /mnt/cdrom

Well, I just tried it.......no luck.  What I did was from a command line, type
su, then the root password, then the command as above.  I got nothing.  Then I
opened up a terminal window, typed su, then the root password, then changed to
the root directory, then type the command as above.  Still nothing.  Do I have
to reboot?  Isn't there a command to "unlock" things?  Maybe linux's
definition of lock isn't quite what I think it is.  Would it have anything to
do with locking in place [somewhere] the location of physical drives so that
if I were to tinker with adding or removing hard disks or something, the
location of the CDROM drive would be locked to a certain address?  Any help is
greatly appreciated- I'm also learning quite a bit- thanks.

Terry

1. System locks right after mounting root -

Using a 2940 adaptec SCSI controller...  Kernel version 1.2.1 -

Everything loads fine (Which is a miracle) Right after it mounts root to
/dev/hda1 it locks up tight.... I am mounting to a IDE drive (hda1) ..
If I mount to a floppy root it works fine...

There are no error messages with the installation...

Rick

2. defunct processes spawning

3. FTP : change automatically the access rights of a file when it arrived in its directory

4. Help with expect

5. Full access rights on other's files/directories

6. linux goes berserk (bug?)

7. How to set up default file and directory right for all user access ?

8. Help!!! How to setup two "netcard"....

9. How to create account with same access rights as root a/c ?

10. locked out of root access

11. KDE Them change locked my "root" access

12. Root access for a user locked screen?

13. How to control Root access to directories