Help: news servers for offline reading ?

Help: news servers for offline reading ?

Post by Donovan Rebbech » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Greatings all. I am looking for news servers for offline use.

Has anyone had success with NewsCache ? I am very happy with the
"design" ... but (a) it has a big memory leak AFAIK and
(b) I can *not* get posting to work. There doesn't seem to be any way
that you can make the stupid thing make any sensible attempt at
authenticating prior to posting.

There's leafnode, but the prob with leafnode is that if a user reads
something from a huge group (like binaries), it will try to download
that group.

there's inn, but using inn as a news cache seems to be using a
sledgehammer to kill a fly ...

cheers,
--

http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
Web designer for Independence -- Linux for the Masses

Post by Joakim Pietr » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>There's leafnode, but the prob with leafnode is that if a user reads
>something from a huge group (like binaries), it will try to download
>that group.

I use this little trick in my news download script:

        rm /var/spool/news/interesting.groups/*
        touch `cat /home/joakim/.newsrc | cut -f 1 -d ':' -s`

This makes leafnode download only groups I actually subscribe to.  I
also do this:

        touch /var/spool/news/active.read

to prevent the weekly download of the active file.

--

PGP Public Key available on request

1. Help with offline News reading setup please!

        Yes, suck is a very useful tool.  Rather than using INN, however,
I would recommend 'pnews' for threading the articles.  You will still need
suck.

( I've made a try at INN as well, with little success.  pnews worked on
the first try )

        Take a look on sunsite or a mirror for the pnews.tgz file or
whatever it is called.  It sounds just right for the size job you need,
though it isn't recommended for larger numbers of newsgroups.

        good luck,
                        Mike.

2. New bie question

3. read news offline?