remote mail notification

Post by Neil Zanell » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I am still wondering whether there is a prgram out there that notifies you

when mail arrives on your account on a remote host while running on a local

host.

The ***several*** advantages of having such a program would be:

Scenario 1: A user connects their Linux box via dialup to a server/firewall                 that uses IP Masquerading. Through the firewall the user can
            get to a Linux box on the internet where the user checks for
            mail. It is not possible to forward mail through the firewall
            so the "remote mail checker" is the only way to be notified of
            new mail.

Scenario 2: A user receives mail on a Linux/Unix box where usage of a .forward
            file to forward mail does not work (not that unlikely).
            In this case the "remote mail checker" application would be useful.

There have already been several improvements to biff like programs.

1) Xbiff changes the color of the pixmap xbiff displays.
   This has an advantage over biff in that if you miss the beep, for example
   of you're gone to the bathroom and come back, you can tell whether mail
   has arrived by looking at the change in color.

2) Xbiff++ has added functionality to xbiff by letting you know not only that
   mail has arrived but it can use a different pixmap for each person that
   mail you, or, can notify you when only certain people mail you. That
   way you don't open your inbox just to find spam.

It would be nice if this new feature I mention were added, perhaps to xbiff.

Neil

remote mail notification

Post by Simon Chatfie » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Why don't you just export xbiff to your local machine from the remote machine?

[...]

1. Mail Notifications, Solaris 2.5 Mail 1.01, Xbiff

What a  pain in the ass.  I am running Solaris 2.5, I have this nice
dashboard with a Mail icon that pops up whenever new mail arrives; but, the
second the mail checks for new mail it resets the icon even if I haven't read
the mail yet.  I want the icon to stay up until I have read all NEW email.

I tried using Xbiff and elm, but the same thing happens.  The second elm
retrives the mail, my xbiff flag goes down.  Is there anyway to avoid this?
--
Neil Greene
Senior Oracle DBA / Unix System Administrator

--
Neil Greene
Senior Oracle DBA / Unix System Administrator
SHL Systemhouse, Inc.   LA Outsourcing Center

2. help....load balancing using rewrite & proxy

3. new mail notification for POP3 mail

4. SunBlade and recommended patches

5. Is there any new mail notification for POP3 mail ?

6. Source

7. Having Diagela use personal notification script instead of group notifications?

8. Deltathree.com and Linux Masq.

9. Sending mails through remote mail server

10. {local}mail >==== (term) ====> mail(remote)

11. Queue-R-Mail-HOWTO 1.01 (hold Remote Mail for later delivery)

12. sendmail mail server does not accept sending mail from remote clients

13. remote mail Si; local mail No