Cannot FTP, gets Connection refused.

Post by Sam Broml » Sat, 23 Aug 1997 04:00:00

For some reason, I am no longer able to FTP to any machine other than
localhost. EVERYTHING else works. tcpdump reports nothing out of the
ordinary. I'm running Debian linux 1.3. Has anyone experienced anything
similar to this?

1. FTP error: Can't build data connection: Connection refused.

I've been stumped by this problem for weeks now.  When I connect to our
FTP server from most boxes, we're able to connect but not able to open
any data connections...

230 User XXX logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
425 Can't build data connection: Connection refused.
ftp>

If I connect from a machine with the same domain as the target FTP
host, it works fine.  One of our machines is on a completely different
network than this box, and it connects fine.  other machines on
remote networks get the error above.

I assumed this was a problem in /etc/hosts.allow, but I think my
configuration is correct...

   ftpd : localhost : allow
   ftpd : ALL : allow

Since I can FTP from machines on either side of the firewall, I'm
assuming this isn't an issue (the firewall seems to be unaware of
which domain it is part of).

This is under FreeBSD 4.3 RELEASE.

Any ideas?

Bob

2. Gnome menus

3. Cannot start nfs locking services: lockdsvc connection refused

4. Netscape 3.01 with Java crashes under 2.0.26

5. basic newbie questions - cannot remote login - connection refused.

6. MOUSE Question

7. lpr: connect: Connection refused jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

8. 3D Pix & Glasses!!

9. Connection refused: Cannot connect to DBM server

10. lpr keep getting Connection refused.

11. ipportfw on 2.0.x gets "connection refused"?

12. NIS setup: ypbind getting connection refused

13. Reconfiguring network card - was Telnet/FTP refuse connection