Please help me select a unix for 486

Post by Matt Harr » Sun, 13 Feb 1994 10:51:24

I'm reposting this because I made a really stupid mistake.  I received about
25 replies the first time I posted this, and I managed to delete then rather
then save them when I exited ELM.  I'd like to thank everyone who replied to
me (even though I never read them).  If anyone could help me out (a second
time) that would be great.

As the resident "computer expert" at my organization the job of setting up a
486 with a unix system and connecting it to the Internet has been given to me.
To keep costs low, I'd like to use one of the free Unix systems.  If what I
need can't be done reliably, and set up with under 2 weeks worth of *,
sweat and tears with a free unix, then I'd like to look at low cost commercial
UNIX flavors.

The computer is going to be connected to our Internet provider via a 24 hour
modem, using SLIP or PPP.  My main interest is being able to maintain this
link reliably as being cut off will cost us money.  The systems main tasks in
the beginning will be the run a few mailing lists, and provide mail reflector
service (you send me e-mail, I'll send back product info).  I've been told to
expect fairly heavy e-mail usage, perhaps over 1000 messages a day. If I can
do this with one of the free unix systems that will be great.

Later on we may want to upgrade to a 56K leased line and offer an FTP and a
Gopher server.  The ability to make this upgrade is not a major selection
issue for me right now, as that is in the future.

Once again, thanks to everyone who tried to help me out the first time I
posted this.  You're the people who make the net what it is!

Humbly,
Matt Harrop

1. Please help me select a unix for 486.

First off, I realize that this is a touchy topic, and I don't want to start a
flame war with this posting.
As the resident "computer expert" at my organization the job of setting up a
486 with a unix system and connecting it to the Internet has been given to me.
To keep costs low, I'd like to use one of the free Unix systems.  From what I
can tell that narrows it down to Linux or one of the 386BSDs.
The computer is going to be connected to our Internet provider via a 24 hour
modem, using SLIP or PPP.  My main interest is being able to maintain this
link reliably as being cut off will cost us money.  The systems main tasks in
the begining will be the run a few mailing lists, and provide mail reflector
service (you send me e-mail, I'll send back product info).  If I can do this
with one of the free unix systems that will be great.
Later on we may want to upgrade to a 56K leased line and offer an FTP and a
Gopher server.  The ability to make this upgrade is not a major selection
issue for me right now, as that is in the future.

I don't think that there is any value in turning this into a flame war, so
please send your comments, advice, misc. ramblings, etc... to me via e-mail.

Thanks for your time,
Matt Harrop

2. Any OSPF gated experts out there?

3. Help please: Red Hat 5/EtherExpress NIC/ISA/486

4. Help: Apache 1.3.9 from ports install

5. 486 mb question PLEASE HELP!

6. IP masquerading and hung transfers

7. PLEASE SOMEBODY! H.P.486/25 N HELP!!

8. Apache UserDir/AliasMatch

9. Acer Acros 486 DX2/66 - 12 MB cool, 16 MB crash - please help

10. Please Help !!!: RedHat 5.2 install on a 486

11. Help: I need kermit for Unix running on a 486

12. Need help with unix vendor choice for Intel 486 box

13. 486: GA 486 AM AMS & linux?