Should the FAQ be in col.admin, .misc, .development ?

Should the FAQ be in col.admin, .misc, .development ?

Post by Ian Jacks » Thu, 13 Oct 1994 21:48:24

Currently the Linux FAQ is posted only to comp.os.linux.announce and
col.help.

I'm considering expanding that to include the other groups in the
hierarchy.  Does anyone have any comments to make about this ?

What has prompted me to consider this issue is the following message
from Prodigy, posted to the faq-maintainers list:

> Over the next few weeks, Prodigy's two million or so members will begin
> to access the Usenet.  As part of our effort to minimize the minimum
> impact this infusion of new * will have on the rest of Usenet, our
> newsreader sports a "Get FAQ" button which will attempt to fetch an FAQ
> file for the current newsgroup.  It works by looking in news.answers
> for any articles cross-posted to the current newsgroup, then displaying
> a menu of those articles.

Please let's not have a flamewar about Prodigy.  If you must to do, at
least change the Subject and Newsgroups lines.

--

+44 1223 575512    Escoerea on IRC.   http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by Christopher Go » Fri, 14 Oct 1994 08:07:42

>Currently the Linux FAQ is posted only to comp.os.linux.announce and
>col.help.

>I'm considering expanding that to include the other groups in the
>hierarchy.  Does anyone have any comments to make about this ?

Yes.  Please do this.  _Please_.  I'm sick of reading people posting to get
information that's in the FAQ, and _really_, _really_ sick of reading
cross-posts between the hierarchies.  If Prodigy is adding 2 million
newbies and are being responsible enough to give them the
"FAQ button" we should certainly oblige - if not for their sake, at least
for our sanity.

Is the "* READ THIS BEFORE POSTING *" also cross-posted occasionally to
news.answers?  (I presume the FAQ is).  If you could drag across the
*READ.. * posting as well that could stem the tide...

My .02,

        Chris Gori

        http://isengard.stanford.edu/~cgori/index.html

1. I am interested in Linux Admin, wanted to self learn, what are important things in Admin?

Guys:

Interested in Linux admin, wanted to self learn, please let me know
what are important things I have to learn for Admin point of view. By
looking at On-line postings, I came to know these are important,
besides these what else are important to learn:

1) Samba installation and setup
2) Web server setup
3) Usr account creation

Besides those three, is there any things are important, also which
Distribution is better for Server side as well as Client side
(especially for small businesses point if view).

Thanks for your time.
GS.

2. Netscape problem - Need Help!

3. UNIX FAQ or UNIX ADMIN FAQ needed...

4. libf2c.a complain about Make__ link error

5. How to change 1 col. file into multi col. using csh

6. Is there a Linux 'mailtool'?

7. comp.unix FAQ to col.answers?

8. please tell me

9. comp.unix.sco.misc Administrative FAQ

10. Is there a comp.os.linux.misc FAQ?

11. comp.unix.sco.misc Administrative FAQ

12. comp.unix.sco.misc Technical FAQ (2/2)