A totally whacky idea???

Post by M.Ranganath » Sun, 09 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Has anyone taken on the idea of putting a (stripped down) java interpreter
in the linux kernel?

I think it might have some strange uses. In any case it is a freaky idea
and I was wondering if it has already been done.

Ranga.

A totally whacky idea???

Post by Ken Gra » Tue, 11 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Has anyone taken on the idea of putting a (stripped down) java interpreter
>in the linux kernel?
>I think it might have some strange uses. In any case it is a freaky idea
>and I was wondering if it has already been done.

        What uses would those be?

        It's already possible for the kernel to invoke a Java interpreter
when you run a Java program or applet.

        Remember that putting such an interpreter in the kernel would
greatly increase the amount of memory (non-swappable memory!) it takes
up, so to be worthwhile, such an interpreter would have to enable users
to do things that they can't do with the current Java arrangement.

                                                                Neil
                                                                (NOT Ken)
--

A totally whacky idea???

Post by Ean Schuessle » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>         What uses would those be?

>         It's already possible for the kernel to invoke a Java interpreter
> when you run a Java program or applet.

>         Remember that putting such an interpreter in the kernel would
> greatly increase the amount of memory (non-swappable memory!) it takes
> up, so to be worthwhile, such an interpreter would have to enable users
> to do things that they can't do with the current Java arrangement.

Java device drivers! Haw! hmmmm...

Ean Schuessler                 Director of New Products and Technologies
Novare International Inc.         The Unstoppable*of Digital Action

1. can't find /mfsroot, and a wacky idea

Hi.
I DLed the boot/root images for 3.2 (?), boot seems good, mfsroot
didn't find /mfsroot on 2 different floppies. The images were dd'ed
to floppy from Linux.

Is there any MCA support in FreeBSD? IBM Microchannel ?

Wacky idea.....
I have my Linux kernel modded to boot to /.sbi/init instead of /sbin/init.
/.sbi/ is a symlink to /command/background. /.et/ is a symlink to
/configure/. /.bi/ is a symlink to /command/, and so on. I call this
the DSFH, Dotted Standard Filename Hierarchy. This is easy internationalization,
amongst other things.

Rick Hohensee

2. Epson 850 on Linux??

3. another wacky sound problem (and I do mean wacky ;)

4. software

5. Anyone has the idea to totally disable power manager for Linux Redhat 6.2?

6. Global search and replace tool for text?

7. Please help with this problem, we have totally run out of ideas ...

8. HEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!

9. yEnc or how to totally FUBAR a good idea Windows style

10. Totally new, totally lost in RedHat

11. any ideas? good idea...

12. DATE problems on DOS partitions - Whacky!

13. Wacky Netscape Printing