Offline News Reader

Post by a.. » Sun, 20 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Are there any available offline news readers available for linux preferably with a graphical user
interface???

Thanx in advance

Alan:

Offline News Reader

Post by Kim Cart » Sun, 20 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Are there any available offline news readers available for linux
> preferably with a graphical user interface???

> Thanx in advance

> Alan:

The only free one I'm aware of is News Peruser available from -

http://www.wwdc.com/~jbailie

Used it for a bit but found the interface strange .....

In addition I have found that the headers in the Linux newsgroups to
commonly have little connection with the content of the thread so
downloading just the headers isn't in practice very useful :(.

Currently using Leafnode + Knews, probably one of the easier setups
to configure and use.

Hope this helps

Kim

Offline News Reader

Post by Frank Rih » Sun, 20 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Forte Agent (and FreeAgent) 16bit version runs fairly well under wine.

see (http://www.winehq.com) for more details.

frank

Offline News Reader

Post by Jason Cliffor » Sun, 20 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Are there any available offline news readers available for linux preferably with a graphical user
> interface???

Take a look at leafnode. It is not an offline reader but rather a small
and easy to configure/use news server. Then use any news erader you like
as your own system will be your 'online' news server.

Jason Clifford
Definite Linux Systems
http://definite.ukpost.com/

Offline News Reader

Post by Jim Hi » Sun, 20 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>Are there any available offline news readers available for linux
>preferably with a graphical user interface???

slrn is fantastic.  I don't know how pointy-clicky it is because I
don't work in that metaphor, but it's a damnfine newsreader.  Its
accompanying utility, slrnpull, allows you to set up a score file which
will decide whether to D/L articles based on whether anything in the
headers meets your scoring criteria.  Kill spam at the source and never
download more than its headers...a beautiful thing.

(It uses John Davis' slang library, which underlies the jed editor and the
mutt mailreader...taken as a package, slrn/jed/mutt make for an excellent
command-line suite.)

Jim
--

"A well-reasoned post couched in badly-composed English is like a dog
that speaks Latin:  rare and utterly useless."  --  Dennis Nedblake

Offline News Reader

Post by elfl.. » Sun, 20 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>>Are there any available offline news readers available for linux preferably
>>with a graphical user interface???

Your options are :
(1)     Use an offline newsreader
(2)     Use a caching news server.

The offline newsreaders available are:

(a) slrn with slrn-pull: slrn is a console based newsreader. It is very nice.
Does things like colour the articles, etc.

(b)     News peruser. The drawback of peruser is that it is basically only
suitable for single user systems (since the cache is per-user no pun intended,
the cache isn't system wide ... )

The caching news servers available are leafnode and newscache. NewsCache doesn't
seem to (conveniently) support authentication , so if you need a password
to post it won't do much good. Leafnode is OK.

Go to http://www.linuxapps.com for links to these apps ...

cheers,
--

http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
Web designer for Independence -- Linux for the Masses

Offline News Reader

Post by jed » Sun, 20 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>> Are there any available offline news readers available for linux preferably with a graphical user
>> interface???

>Take a look at leafnode. It is not an offline reader but rather a small
>and easy to configure/use news server. Then use any news erader you like
>as your own system will be your 'online' news server.

        You can even use your favorite Windows newsreader from
        across the LAN (or across the planet).

--
Hardly. Microsoft has brought the microcomputer OS to
the point where it is more bloated than even OSes from          |||

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

Offline News Reader

Post by Thand » Mon, 21 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Are there any available offline news readers available for linux preferably with a graphical user
>interface???

Use any newsreader you like, and use something else to fetch your news to a
news server running on your local machine.

Leafnode is probably the easiest to set up in this case. If you get a .deb
or .rpm of it, it will probably set itself up "out of the box" so to speak.
You then simply use the program "fetch" that comes with the package, and it
downloads all the groups you read.

--
- Thandor, of Donuts Inc:
Through emulation of Homer Simpson we shall attain perfection.

Linux: Everybody's talking about the GNU kid in town. :)

Offline News Reader

Post by Jan Pantelt » Mon, 21 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Are there any available offline news readers available for linux preferably
>with a graphical user
>interface???

>Thanx in advance

>Alan:

NewsFleX does exactly that.
However it is not free.
You can find a free beta that you can test out until November on my website:
www.panteltje.demon.nl/newsflex/
Jan

Offline News Reader

Post by Alan Fri » Mon, 21 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>>Are there any available offline news readers available for linux preferably with a graphical user
>>interface???

>Use any newsreader you like, and use something else to fetch your news to a
>news server running on your local machine.

>Leafnode is probably the easiest to set up in this case. If you get a .deb
>or .rpm of it, it will probably set itself up "out of the box" so to speak.
>You then simply use the program "fetch" that comes with the package, and it
>downloads all the groups you read.

Thanx I downloaded it.

Can you give me any tips how to configure it?

When I type leafnode, I just get a line saying the daemon
is present (something like that} and nothing else happens.

What file do I put the name of my news server in and where?

Thanx in advance

Alan

Offline News Reader

Post by Alan Fri » Mon, 21 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>>>Are there any available offline news readers available for linux preferably
>>>with a graphical user interface???

>Your options are :
>(1) Use an offline newsreader
>(2) Use a caching news server.

>The offline newsreaders available are:

>(a) slrn with slrn-pull: slrn is a console based newsreader. It is very nice.
>Does things like colour the articles, etc.

Thanx I have that newsreader  but I can't get it to fire up. I just get error
messages like put set ENVIRONMENT my.news.server

I went into the /usr/lib/slrn/slrn.rc file but I don't know where to
put the name of my news server. Where ever I put I end up
with error reading line 8 or whereever else I put it.

Any suggestions???

Quote:>(b) News peruser. The drawback of peruser is that it is basically only
>suitable for single user systems (since the cache is per-user no pun intended,
>the cache isn't system wide ... )

Thats exactly what I want however I downloaded it but it looks like, I have to
compile it.

Does that mean doing something to the kernel as well.

Thanx in advance

Offline News Reader

Post by Alan Fri » Mon, 21 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>Forte Agent (and FreeAgent) 16bit version runs fairly well under wine.

>see (http://www.winehq.com) for more details.

What do you think of Wine so far? Is it worth using?
Is it available in rpm format?

Thanx in advance

Alan

Offline News Reader

Post by Jean-Yves Sim » Mon, 21 Sep 1998 04:00:00

: >
: >Are there any available offline news readers available for linux preferably with a graphical user
: >interface???

: Use any newsreader you like, and use something else to fetch your news to a
: news server running on your local machine.

: Leafnode is probably the easiest to set up in this case. If you get a .deb
: or .rpm of it, it will probably set itself up "out of the box" so to speak.
: You then simply use the program "fetch" that comes with the package, and it
: downloads all the groups you read.

I will give it a try, when you have downloaded the news to read them
offline using leafnode, can you answer/post an article and next time
you are online, post it with leafnode ?

Thanks and regards

--

Offline News Reader

Post by zenta » Mon, 21 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Forte Agent (and FreeAgent) 16bit version runs fairly well under wine.

>see (http://www.winehq.com) for more details.

>frank

Agent 16 bit runs almost fully functional under Wabi.

Offline News Reader

Post by jed » Mon, 21 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>>Forte Agent (and FreeAgent) 16bit version runs fairly well under wine.

>>see (http://www.winehq.com) for more details.

>What do you think of Wine so far? Is it worth using?
>Is it available in rpm format?

        Wine is alpha software & as such is risky just to
        use. However, it does successfully run some of the
        16bit and 32bit office software as well as some games.

--
Hardly. Microsoft has brought the microcomputer OS to
the point where it is more bloated than even OSes from          |||
what was previously larger classes of machines altogether.     / | \
This is perhaps Bill's single greatest accomplishment.

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

1. Offline News Reader

I am trying to set up an offline news reader using slurp and cnews.  I
can't seem to get slurp to download the news.  Here is what it says when I
run slurp:

FiveC:~$ slurp -d news.TheR?mp.net
0 ids l??ded
server: news.TheR?mp.net
time: 961210 000000
newsgr?ups: 'c?mp.?s.liun.setup'
distributi?ns: ''
time ?t server news.TheR?mp.net is currently M?n Dec 23 01:42:06 1996
C?nnected t? nntp server ?t news.TheR?mp.net
-> 200 news.ther?mp.net InterNetNews NNRP server INN 1.4un?ff4 05-M?r-96
re?dy (p?sting ?k).
<- NEWNEWS c?mp.?s.liun.setup 961210 000000 GMT
-> 230 New news f?ll?ws
0 ?rticles w?iting
<- QUIT
-> 205
Wr?te 0 Mess?ge-IDs t? /usr/lib/news/slurp.news.TheR?mp.net
Pr?cessed 0 new? 0 duplic?te? 0 missing ?rticles
Aver?ge tr?nsfer speed 0 cps

Any ideas why I don't receive any news?

Thanks,
Loops

2. sendmail won't work on my machine (w/o network)

3. X Offline News Reader

4. Q:> about mirror?

5. offline news reader

6. PAO new version is now available

7. Offline News Reader

8. Shared object _init and _fini function

9. Offline news reader

10. Wanted: offline news-reader for Linux

11. OFFline news reader?

12. Offline news readers ?

13. best text based offline news reader for linux?