Multiple IP Address

Post by Pankaj Sh » Wed, 31 May 1995 04:00:00

Hi!

I was woundering if there is any way to support multiple IP addresses
with one ethernet card. I tried looking at HOWTO for NET-2. It
indicates that it is supported. I couldn't find, how to support it.

I will appreciate you answers.

Pankaj Shah

Multiple IP Address

Post by Johannes Stil » Mon, 05 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>I was woundering if there is any way to support multiple IP addresses
>with one ethernet card. I tried looking at HOWTO for NET-2. It
>indicates that it is supported. I couldn't find, how to support it.

Use the dummy network driver, you can configure it to have another IP
address. The get routing right with the route command and maybe with
proxy ARP. If you need more than two addresses, configure the dummy
driver as module, then you can load it multiple times, and each
instance can be configured with its own IP address.

        Johannes

Multiple IP Address

Post by r.. » Fri, 16 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>>I was woundering if there is any way to support multiple IP addresses
>>with one ethernet card. I tried looking at HOWTO for NET-2. It
>>indicates that it is supported. I couldn't find, how to support it.

>Use the dummy network driver, you can configure it to have another IP
>address. The get routing right with the route command and maybe with
>proxy ARP. If you need more than two addresses, configure the dummy
>driver as module, then you can load it multiple times, and each
>instance can be configured with its own IP address.

>       Johannes

Does ifconfig support the -alias option?  Can this be used?

Multiple IP Address

Post by roo » Mon, 19 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: >>
: >>I was woundering if there is any way to support multiple IP addresses
: >>with one ethernet card. I tried looking at HOWTO for NET-2. It
: >>indicates that it is supported. I couldn't find, how to support it.

Another nifty trick that would work would be to:
arp -s <2nd IP address> <ethernet address of real card> pub

|          Hitting "reply" should now work.  Just, don't send to      |

1. multiple NICs, multiple IP addresses?

(This is related to my problem titled "need help w/ 2 NICs and - ping,
portmap, NFS, ...")

If a machine has more than one NIC, must they be on different subnets?
 Say,
192.168.10.x  and  192.168.11.x  and so forth?  Or can they be on the
same
subnet (192.168.10.1  and 192.168.10.2)?

Is it possible for them to share a single IP address????

TIA, -bob,mon.

2. XFree86 and Toshiba 490xCDT?

3. IP Masquerade & Multiple IP addresses

4. GDBM and licensing

5. IP Aliaseing (Multiple IP address to one interface)

6. DAT Record/Play?

7. How to listen to multiple IP addresses

8. htpasswd

9. Assigning Multiple IP addresses question

10. Multiple IP addresses on 1 Machine

11. Multiple IP addresses

12. Help: How to setup multiple IP addresses for a network interface?

13. Multiple IP Address.