Trouble with Linux.

Post by Sam Wu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

Can any one tell me whether linux can use a single command line to
install a module/component?
eg. make install
and also automatically install all its dependent packages?

Thanks
sam.

Trouble with Linux.

Post by Davide Bianc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Hi,

>Can any one tell me whether linux can use a single command line to
>install a module/component?
>eg. make install
>and also automatically install all its dependent packages?

Basically no. If you want to install a package that depends from other
packages, you must be sure that all the packages are installed into
your system. With RedHat there is a "database" that you can query to
locate all the interdipendent packages (e.g. what depends from this
package ?), but if you install one package, only that package will
be installed.

Davide

Trouble with Linux.

Post by Carl Fi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>>Hi,

>>Can any one tell me whether linux can use a single command line to
>>install a module/component?
>>eg. make install
>>and also automatically install all its dependent packages?

>Basically no . . . With RedHat there is a "database" . . .

With Debian I can install any package that's part of my distribution
with

        apt-get install <name of package>

and it'll automatically resolve dependencies.
--

Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum
<http://dm.net>

Trouble with Linux.

Post by John Hasle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:Davide writes:
> Basically no.

No For Red Hat and derivatives, yes for Debian and its derivatives.

Quote:> If you want to install a package that depends from other packages, you
> must be sure that all the packages are installed into your system.

In Debian apt takes care of that automatically.  Just type
'apt-get install package' and apt will figure out all the dependencies and
install all the rwuired packages.

Debian 2.2 was released last week.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, WI

Trouble with Linux.

Post by Sam Wu » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 09:35:53

I only know that FreeBSD can do that very neatly, just one command "make
install" from the port treet.
it will install all dependencies first. I would think that's one of the
reasons that FreeBSD outperform Redhad linux?

--
Sam Wun                   Firewalls / Security
Software Engineer(Snr)    Electronic Commerce

1. Trouble installing Linux from the CD included w/The Complete Linux Kit

Hi!  Here's the problem...  I use the standard scsi image for my boot
disk, and my root disk works fine as well.  I run setup, and everything
goes ok until I reach the section entitled install.  More specifically,
the prompting mode.  When I try to choose a prompting mode, any mode at
all, nothing happens.  The only thing that I can do is exit the
program.  After doing this a few hundred times with countless
variations, my only guess is that there is a bug in my install program.
 Do you agree?  Please let me know what I should do... I really want to
run Linux.  Thanks in advance!

        --Ryan

2. New proposed shadow password scheme

3. Trouble with Linux sys

4. solaris 2.5.1 text to HPGL converter/filter

5. Help, I'm having trouble installing Linux

6. How to config PCI-NE2000 compatible card in Solaris 2.6 (x86 platform)?

7. Trouble with Linux and SHARP PC8800

8. Welcome to comp.unix.shell [Frequent posting]

9. trouble with linux java install.

10. Trouble Mouting Linux/ext2fs Partitions Under FreeBSD 5.0

11. Trouble-free Linux PC's

12. wanted : 486-Computerconfiguration without any trouble under Linux ...

13. Long time windows user - trouble with Linux