staroffice and GLIBC 2.1

Post by Jeb Boldin » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

So, I cannot get staroffice installed on my system running Redhat's
experimental Rawhide version.  The problem is that StarOffice expects
GLIBC 2.07 which is in RH5.2, but Rawhide distributes GLBIC 2.1.  If I
remove GLIBC 2.1 and use GLIBC 2.07 it works flawlessly, but upgrading
or even simply adding the GLIBC 2.1 libraries to my system causes
StarOffice not to work.

Why am I upgrading my GlIBC libraries?  Because I want to run Gnome 1.0
and Enlightenment as my Window Manager.  They require the newer GLIBC
libraries.

I'm at an impasse, any suggestions?

jeb

staroffice and GLIBC 2.1

Post by Marco Fonsec » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Same here. Someone suggested uninstalling 2.1, reinstalling 2.0.7, then
installing -not upgrading- 2.1 so you end up with both versions of the
libraries. Haven't tried it myself, but some folks say it works.

Quote:>So, I cannot get staroffice installed on my system running Redhat's
>experimental Rawhide version.  The problem is that StarOffice expects
>GLIBC 2.07 which is in RH5.2, but Rawhide distributes GLBIC 2.1.  If I
>remove GLIBC 2.1 and use GLIBC 2.07 it works flawlessly, but upgrading
>or even simply adding the GLIBC 2.1 libraries to my system causes
>StarOffice not to work.

>Why am I upgrading my GlIBC libraries?  Because I want to run Gnome 1.0
>and Enlightenment as my Window Manager.  They require the newer GLIBC
>libraries.

>I'm at an impasse, any suggestions?

>jeb

staroffice and GLIBC 2.1

Post by Hugh Griffith » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Same here. Someone suggested uninstalling 2.1, reinstalling 2.0.7, then
> installing -not upgrading- 2.1 so you end up with both versions of the
> libraries. Haven't tried it myself, but some folks say it works.

> >So, I cannot get staroffice installed on my system running Redhat's
> >experimental Rawhide version.  The problem is that StarOffice expects
> >GLIBC 2.07 which is in RH5.2, but Rawhide distributes GLBIC 2.1.  If I
> >remove GLIBC 2.1 and use GLIBC 2.07 it works flawlessly, but upgrading
> >or even simply adding the GLIBC 2.1 libraries to my system causes
> >StarOffice not to work.

> >Why am I upgrading my GlIBC libraries?  Because I want to run Gnome 1.0
> >and Enlightenment as my Window Manager.  They require the newer GLIBC
> >libraries.

> >I'm at an impasse, any suggestions?

> >jeb

Second that.  I find that having multiple versions of glibc keeps the
ol' apps happily working.

1. glibc 2.1 + downgrade + staroffice

Does anybody know what is going on with glibc 2.1?
1. ftp.gnu.org isn't providing it right now. Here's what's on the ftp
site:
glibc-2.1 has been (temporarily) removed, until some
political issues are worked out.
2. My redhat 6.0 installation just upgraded me to 2.1
3. I want to reinstall staroffice 5.0 and get it working again, but it
only runs with 2.0.

Can somebody please provide some advice on the appropriate method for
downgrading to glibc 2.0? Is it as simple as rebuilding libc-2.0.so and
relinking libc.so.6 to it? Is there anything that actually requires 2.1
or runs better using the newer library? Why in the heck isn't it
completely backwards-compatible? Because I can boot and run all my other
software, I'm assuming that other things linked against glibc 2.0 were
not broken. What's different about staroffice that it breaks?

jeremy

2. Using kernel 2.0.36 in SMP mode still deadlocks

3. glibc 2.1 and glibc 2.2

4. get stderr of command in system()

5. glibc 2.0 or glibc 2.1

6. redirect help

7. glibc 2.1/glibc 1.99

8. Free X Window System for windows 98

9. Upgrading from glibc 2.1 to glibc 2.2

10. Can primary glibc 2.1.x coexist with non-primary glibc 2.2.x WRT shared binaries?

11. Upgrading from glibc 2.1 to glibc 2.2

12. X 3.3.3.1 libraries and Glibc 2.1

13. glibc, 2.1.x, and nfs/ypbind