CD-I

Post by Jim Harve » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I would like to know if anyone has successfully ripped the MPEG video
stream from a CD-I disk and copied it to a recordable disk.  Will any
software available make an image copy of a CD-I movie to hard drive so
it can be edited?
--
Jim Harvey - Tellabs Operations Inc. - SAT

CD-I

Post by Jac Goudsmi » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I would like to know if anyone has successfully ripped the MPEG video
>stream from a CD-I disk and copied it to a recordable disk.  Will any
>software available make an image copy of a CD-I movie to hard drive so
>it can be edited?

It shouldn't be very difficult to take the video tracks off a VideoCD but if
you're talking about a CD-i (or CD-i/Digital Video for that matter) it's an
entirely different story.

First you need a CD-ROM drive or recorder that's able to grab the CD-i's
data. Sounds easy but it isn't. Like most users, manufacturers usually also
don't know the difference between VideoCD and CD-i and will happily put
"CD-i compatible" on the box even if it isn't.

But that's not all. With VideoCD it's easy because you know you need
everything except track 1 and you need to grab the sectors in Mode 2 Form 2
format (2336 bytes per sector if memory serves me). On a CD-i you need to
find the MPEG data yourself, and basically it could be anywhere. The only
thing you know is that the MPEG streams are stored in Green mode which is
the same as Mode 2 Form 2.

===Jac

CD-I

Post by Corne Beers » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> >I would like to know if anyone has successfully ripped the MPEG video
> >stream from a CD-I disk and copied it to a recordable disk.  Will any
> >software available make an image copy of a CD-I movie to hard drive so
> >it can be edited?

> It shouldn't be very difficult to take the video tracks off a VideoCD but if
> you're talking about a CD-i (or CD-i/Digital Video for that matter) it's an
> entirely different story.

True.
Just for the record:
- CDi is VideoCD compatible
- Philips distributed movies for CDi playsers in CDi format up to 1994. From
1995, it is in VideoCD format.
Just try to read the movie in your CDRom. If it is readable, your are lucky.
The movie is in the huge (+500MB) file, others are players for several
machines like CDi. Most of the time, the mpegdata has a '.dat' extension.

Quote:> First you need a CD-ROM drive or recorder that's able to grab the CD-i's
> data. Sounds easy but it isn't. Like most users, manufacturers usually also
> don't know the difference between VideoCD and CD-i and will happily put
> "CD-i compatible" on the box even if it isn't.

Reading the disk differs from understanding the file format used on the
disk. The wires I use are RS232 compatible as well as ISDN compatible. The
connectors I use at both ends restrict me in my choise.

Quote:

> But that's not all. With VideoCD it's easy because you know you need
> everything except track 1 and you need to grab the sectors in Mode 2 Form 2
> format (2336 bytes per sector if memory serves me). On a CD-i you need to
> find the MPEG data yourself, and basically it could be anywhere. The only
> thing you know is that the MPEG streams are stored in Green mode which is
> the same as Mode 2 Form 2.

CB

--
Vote against SPAM!: http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
Corne' Beerse                                   | Alcatel Telecom Nederland

talkto:+31(70)3079108 faxto:+31(70)3079191      | NL-2280 GG  Rijswijk

CD-I

Post by Christia » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

So now we know all about CD-I (and not VCD) - fine.

I found an 'emulator' that extracts the mpg file from CD-I (yep CD-I aaanndd
not VCD) on regular PC CD-ROM players
http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~dbt/CDi/CDiMain.html
the prg. is in the src.zip file and is called test. Only one problem - it
somehow stops reading the cds at block 240901 everytime (all CDs), which
cuts away (a guess) the last 5 min. of the movie - You're still able to see
the rest.
The src. code is included, so if any of you know how to - please do.
I've tried to contact the auhtor using e-mail - but no respons yet...

If any further info is needed, email: