RFI: Pls explain "Users" and "Groups" concepts/application

RFI: Pls explain "Users" and "Groups" concepts/application

Post by David Prie » Sun, 05 May 1996 04:00:00

Having just done * Things to my Linux by playing with the user and
groups ownership of files, and figuring that there are a multitude of
equally ignorant Unix Newbies who could use a clue as well, I ask:

What are users and groups,
What useful purpose do they serve,
How do they restrict file access,
What would be a good way to divvy-up access and commands by root (who can
do anything), a Powerful User account (sort of a tame sysadmin, who can't
use the Really Dangerous commands), and generic users (who can't do squat
to harm the system)?
And,
How does one set up the passwd/group files to accomplish all this?

Thanks for what will surely be an enlightening conversation!