WDC 1.6 GB LBA Mapping Failure HELP !!

Post by h8605.. » Mon, 18 Dec 1995 04:00:00

HI Gurus out there !

i bought a western digital 31600 and was suprised installing slackware
3.0. the lba mapping seems not to compromise with large eide hard
drives
the problem is this:

the first time installing the kernel queried the bios and got the
bogus geometry of cy787 hd 64 sc 63 lba-modus
so i thougth thats ok and every futher installation procedure kept on
going with no problem

a few times later rebooting again the kernel said "reached maximum
mount count " :)

i did a fsck manuelly and it returned an error message like this
"Error reading block 999554 (Attempt to read block from filesystem
resulted in short read)while doing inode scan"

an this happend for 5 or 6 blocks

after the complete installation i also got same I/O errors reading
,coping files.

i tried to solve it that ways

i tried to feed the real geometry of the HD to the kernel at boottime
with lilo . afterwards doing fdisk with expert mode changing to the
bogus geometry mention at the beginning

next time i tried to shorten the partition to 300 mb

i tried a lot of things but in the end it was the shit as i started

therefore please help a helpless linuxuser

thanks in advance(will be interresting to lot of users :))

peter

Post by Daniel G. Lin » Wed, 20 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> HI Gurus out there !

> i bought a western digital 31600 and was suprised installing slackware
> 3.0. the lba mapping seems not to compromise with large eide hard
> drives
> the problem is this:

> the first time installing the kernel queried the bios and got the
> bogus geometry of cy787 hd 64 sc 63 lba-modus

I think you should turn off "lba" and use "normal" instead.
That worked for me.
I have two IDE drives >528 MB: a 730 MB Quantum and a 1280 MB WD drive.
The WD drive works in an old system that doesn't even have an LBA setting
in its BIOS. If I set the other system's BIOS to LBA, it won't boot.
Also I have neither set the disk's respective geometries in the BIOS
(I am using a setting of 10 MB in both cases) nor am I feeding anything
to the kernel. The kernel recognizes the disks itself.

- Daniel

--
Forward In All Directions!
http://cyclone.snafu.de/

1. WDC 1.6 GB LBA Mapping Failure Help !!

[...]

2. Named pipe faster that sockets if same computer ?

3. WDC 1.6 GB LBA Mapping failure HELP!!

4. Exec format error on shared library

5. LINUX and EIDE 1.6 GB drive

6. help - tcp link won't keepalive

7. Connor 1.6 GB Drive problems

8. Help with H323/firewall

9. Error 27 (EFBIG) on 1.6+ Gb file written to NFS mount.

10. Installing LinuxPPC2000 on 1.6 GB IDE Drive....

11. Problems wiht Western Digital 1.6 GB

12. Western Digital 1.6 GB drives -- any reason why they fail?

13. 1.6 GB SCSI disk on RS/6000?