samba log with accessed files

Post by tudo » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 03:39:59

hi!

Is there a way I can know what fles have been accessed by users? A log
my samba server could keep for that matter?

Thank you.

samba log with accessed files

Post by Dances With Crow » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 05:29:33

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:39:59 GMT, tudor staggered into the Black Sun and
said:

Quote:> Is there a way I can know what fles have been accessed by users?

Maybe.  What's a fle?

Quote:> A log my samba server could keep for that matter?

If you meant "have Samba write '/somewhere/file accessed' every time a
Samba user accesses /somewhere/file", this isn't typically done because
the log files would grow too quickly on any fileserver that's used
to any great extent.  You *can* put the following line in
/etc/samba/smb.conf , then killall -HUP smbd :

log level = NUMBER

...the higher the number, the more verbose the log.  Default is 0.  Test
level 1, then level 2, then level 3, etc.  ISTR that level 3 or so is
where you want to be, but ICBW.  The logfiles will contain a lot of
other garbage that's irrelevant to what you want, but that's what grep
is for.  Or maybe you can edit the Samba code itself....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

samba log with accessed files

Post by Martin Blum » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 02:56:16

Quote:> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:39:59 GMT, tudor staggered into the Black Sun and
> said:
> > Is there a way I can know what fles have been accessed by users?

> Maybe.  What's a fle?

A fle is a file with something important missing. The users will notice and
come back to the OP and ask him about it. That's why he needs the log.

As for how samba to log only the fles and not all the files, that's
something different altogether.

Martin

Post by tudo » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 04:44:49

>> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:39:59 GMT, tudor staggered into the Black Sun and
>> said:
>> > Is there a way I can know what fles have been accessed by users?

>> Maybe.  What's a fle?

> A fle is a file with something important missing. The users will notice
> and come back to the OP and ask him about it. That's why he needs the log.

> As for how samba to log only the fles and not all the files, that's
> something different altogether.

> Martin

what are you talking about ?!?
it was just a spell error. (fle=FILE)

Post by MM » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 04:58:39

>>> Maybe.  What's a fle?

>> A fle is a file with something important missing. The users will notice
>> and come back to the OP and ask him about it. That's why he needs the log.

>> As for how samba to log only the fles and not all the files, that's
>> something different altogether.

>what are you talking about ?!?

I believe this phenomenon is commonly known as humour.

Quote:>it was just a spell error. (fle=FILE)

It is very evident that this was known.

MM

Post by Peter T. Breue » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 05:40:04

>>> Maybe.  What's a fle?

>> A fle is a file with something important missing. The users will notice

WHAT? It's not clear. It could be a flea with something equally
important missing. Or a rifle missing more.

Quote:>> and come back to the OP and ask him about it. That's why he needs the log.

He needs to flog the log and put a flea in the ear of the person with
the file without the eye.

Quote:>> As for how samba to log only the fles and not all the files, that's
>> something different altogether.

But samba has letters over. It's really only SMB.

Quote:> what are you talking about ?!?

You don't know? Do you have a mental problem?

Quote:> it was just a spell error. (fle=FILE)

I don't believe you. I think you're an alien.

Peter

1. Logging file access with SAMBA

Hello everyone.

I have a problem with logging file accesses with Samba. I want to log,
who (preferably IP-adress) reads, writes or deletes files with Samba.
I tried different log levels, but never all file accesses were logged.
If an access was logged, then only the Samba-username (mostly "nobody")
was shown. Is it possible to solve my problem? Can anybody help me?

Thanks for your help!

Bye, Patrick

2. Error 0x08

3. How to log user access info in access.log

4. Rush Limbaugh Linux booster!

5. SCSI file access problems and errors in log file

6. Linux LapTop Package

7. How can I split a log file into several log files?

8. MRTG with Cisco 1720 on RH 7.0

9. wierd stuffs in proxy log file and back end server log file

10. samba login log files

11. Samba file-writing logs

12. /var/log/samba/smb.log

13. File Access - Does Owner Access Override Group Access?