Corels Distro

Post by Greg Madde » Thu, 04 Nov 1999 04:00:00

ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/linux/CorelLinux/dists/corellinux-1.0/main/bi...

Corels Distro

Post by Cameron L. Spitz » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/linux/CorelLinux/dists/corellinux-1.0/main/bi...

Looks like Debian.  Same Packages file, .deb files, and archive layout.
What are they adding?
Why don't they just call it a Debian mirror?

Cameron

Corels Distro

Post by m.. » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> >ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/linux/CorelLinux/dists/corellinux-1.0/main/bi...

> Looks like Debian.  Same Packages file, .deb files, and archive layout.
> What are they adding?

they are adding the desktop, the *buzzbuzz* all-in-one solution,
that makes your mother love linux.

Quote:> Why don't they just call it a Debian mirror?

marketing.

Quote:> Cameron

cumarc

--
"4 keen op!" -- a perreira.lu thingy -

Corels Distro

Post by Rod Smi » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>>ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/linux/CorelLinux/dists/corellinux-1.0/main/bi...

Somewhere earlier in that directory hierarchy (/pub/linux/ or
/pub/linux/CorelLinux, I think), there's a file that identifies this as a
PARTIAL archive for test purposes.  It sounds like they're just testing
things out prior to the official release.

Quote:> Looks like Debian.  Same Packages file, .deb files, and archive layout.
> What are they adding?

See the Corel web site for detail (http://linux.corel.com).  Basically,
they're adding a bunch of user-friendly desktop stuff (KDE, mainly) and a
new installer that's supposed to be much more user-friendly than
Debian's.  Corel's Linux distribution IS, though, based upon Debian.
They've never tried to hide this fact.

Quote:> Why don't they just call it a Debian mirror?

Because it's more than that, and because they want to be able to
distribute it as their own product.  Sort of like Mandrake & Red Hat, or
any of the many distributions derived from the old SLS distribution.

--

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
Author of _Special Edition Using Corel WordPerfect 8 for Linux_, from Que

Corels Distro

Post by Matt O'Tool » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> > Why don't they just call it a Debian mirror?

> Because it's more than that, and because they want to be able to
> distribute it as their own product.  Sort of like Mandrake & Red Hat, or
> any of the many distributions derived from the old SLS distribution.

I haven't tried Corel's distribution, but what distinguishes it is a new
installation and configuration program that's easier to use than what comes
with standard Debian.  Linux is linux, but it's these "little" details that
make all the difference in the world in ease of use, and that's what Corel
is selling, or trying to.

Matt O.

Corels Distro

Post by Christopher Brow » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>> >ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/linux/CorelLinux/dists/ \

    corellinux-1.0/main/binary-i386/

Quote:

>> Looks like Debian.  Same Packages file, .deb files, and archive layout.
>> What are they adding?

>they are adding the desktop, the *buzzbuzz* all-in-one solution,
>that makes your mother love linux.

Can you suggest where, precisely, amongst that material, the
Corel-customized "desktop stuff" resides?

Quote:>> Why don't they just call it a Debian mirror?

>marketing.

Indeed.  At this point, the material that's publicly available seems
to be *no* different from a Debian mirror.

I do not see:
a) Any KDE stuff
b) Qt

--
I hate wet paper bags.

Corels Distro

Post by Sitaram Chamar » Sun, 07 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I haven't tried Corel's distribution, but what distinguishes it is a new
>installation and configuration program that's easier to use than what comes
>with standard Debian.  Linux is linux, but it's these "little" details that
>make all the difference in the world in ease of use, and that's what Corel
>is selling, or trying to.

The sad part is, they don't always work.  Many times I have had to
manually intervene when the automated stuff doesn't work right.

A friend of mine, who started to get interested in Linux from
seeing the stuff I do with it, bought Caldera Open Linux (I told
him I had heard it was friendlier than RH).  He had the same kind
of Pnp SB AWE32 (about 3 years old :-) as I do, but Caldera Open
Linux didnt recognise it nor do anything with it.

I had to go in and do the usual pnpdump stuff.  (Surprisingly, Red
Hat 5.2, which is at least a year older than COL 2.3, can do it,
although it's not in the install sequence!).

Sitaram

1. What is diff between Debian & Corel distros?

An attractive Debian feature is the ability to update the setup through
the apd-update (or something like that) command.  Since Corel is
supposedly based on Debian, will I be able to update a Corel
installation through the Debian site?

In other words, is the Corel distro the Debian distro plus stuff, or did
Corel modify it into something very different?

A secondary concern for me is I have computers not normally connected to
the internet.  For me, updating those installations would consist of
CD-ROM (perhaps a Debian 'apd-update'?), instead of making me create a
new installation?

Jerome.

--
Jerome Mrozak

2. cups 1.1.6 & staroffice 5.1

3. Kill COREL; Kill COREL; Kill COREL; ...

4. smtp

5. FWD- Red Hat is indeed the Bugs Hat and the suckest distro amongst the Linux distros.

6. Use dejanews for "Finding ..." [anything!]

7. Distro or not to Distro..... that is the ????

8. IP Masq with IRC

9. Slackware distro secure? (was Redhat distro secure?)

10. Recompile the Distro, How?

11. Best distro for running 3d animation programs?

12. What about a WIN3.1-like Linux distro?

13. Supporting multiple distros