Can I fool Linux into suporting my Sound4Win Modem

Can I fool Linux into suporting my Sound4Win Modem

Post by Alex Feinber » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have a Sound4Win modem. I know it is uncompatible. But I heard that If
you are using Linux via UMS-DOS with Loadlin, you can fool Linux into
working with your soundcard without recompiling the kernel as a driver
is already loaded when you boot. Is it possible to do so with a modem.
(My modem driver is loaded when I boot into MS-DOS mode)

Post by Roy Stogn » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>I have a Sound4Win modem. I know it is uncompatible. But I heard that If
>you are using Linux via UMS-DOS with Loadlin, you can fool Linux into
>working with your soundcard without recompiling the kernel as a driver
>is already loaded when you boot. Is it possible to do so with a modem.
>(My modem driver is loaded when I boot into MS-DOS mode)

There are two things that may interfere with using your modem in Linux -
1.  It may require plug-n-play initialization.  In this case, you can
grab the isapnptools kit and have Linux do the work, or boot Linux from
loadlin (doesn't have to be on a UMSDOS partition) and hope that Win95
or whatever else you used did the PNP setup for you.

2.  It may be a WinModem.  It certainly sounds like it.  This means that
it skimps on the chips on the modem card, requires the processor to do
most of the work for the modem (incidentally negating the money you saved
on this modem by costing you processor speed), and requires a Windows -
only driver to work.  Don't expect to see a Linux driver for any of these
any time soon - anyone capable of writing the driver would steer far
clear of this kind of ignorant "cost-cutting" measure.
---
Roy Stogner

1. Linux suport for Trident 9660

Hi there,

I can't get linux to recognize my Trident video card.  I have the slackware version 3.0.
I was able to use the monochrome server to setup X windows.  I was wondering if I could
use a generic vga server istead of my SVGA server which is not supported for my video card.

Any help will be appreciated.

Ali

2. data analysis tools under linux

3. AHA1520B/1522B SCSI card suport in Linux Slackware???

4. """the last day of sale"""

5. Does linux cd writer software suport the Ricoh 1420C >>>?

6. shadow-3.3.2

7. DOES LINUX SUPORT SO_OOBINLINE and MSG_OOB

8. Dosemu and CL5426

9. Does Linux suport thermal printer?

10. Does linux suport the GSI 18v IDE controller???

11. DVD or mpeg2 decoder suport in Linux?

12. DOES LINUX SUPORT SO_OOBINLINE and MSG_OOB

13. Arabic suport on Linux. is it possible?