tar to tape >2GB

Post by Crni Gora » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 02:28:04

Is it possible to use tar to backup files on tapes with capacity >2GB.
If yes, what would be the command?

Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

tar to tape >2GB

Post by -ljl » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 03:27:47

Quote:> Is it possible to use tar to backup files on tapes with capacity >2GB.

You might check out this URL:

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/p...

Star currently handles files up  to  a  size  of  2  GB  and
     archives up to 2000000 TB.  The maximum file size limitation
     of 2 GB may easily be expanded to 8 GB. With a non  standard
     extension star will handle files up to 200000000 TB.

Regards.
--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

tar to tape >2GB

Post by Christopher Brow » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 09:01:37

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Crni Gorac would say:

Quote:>Is it possible to use tar to backup files on tapes with capacity
>2GB.  If yes, what would be the command?

GNU tar will do the job quite nicely, on those platforms on which it
is compiled either with native "64 bit" file support, or with the LFS
option.
--

<http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxkernel.html>
"Motto for a research laboratory: What we work on today, others will

tar to tape >2GB

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 01:02:58

> Is it possible to use tar to backup files on tapes with capacity >2GB.
> If yes, what would be the command?

> Thanks.

I have no difficulty tarring 7GB to a 10GB Travan TR-5 tape with the version of
GNU tar that came with my distro (Corel, which is Debian based).  I have done a
full backup with 'tar cvf /dev/nht0 /'.  Note that it is a good idea to exclude
things like /proc and others;  my point here is that there are *no* special
options required to tar to get it to handle my backups of 4-7GB.  I know it
works, too.  Three weeks ago I repartitioned my harddrive, wiping out
everything.  It all restored from tape perfectly.

HTH,

J-P Stewart