/usr/sbin/nmbd Error?

Post by Erik Michelse » Sat, 27 Jan 1996 04:00:00

While I was looking through my syslog on another problem, I discovered
this set of errors repeated numerous times since I brought the operating
system up for the first time a month ago.

inetd[68]: /usr/sbin/nmbd: exit status 0x1
last message repeated 31 times
last message repeated 4 times
inetd[68]: netbios-ns/udp server failing (looping), service terminated

To date, I have not even looked at inetd (basically haven't gotten to it
yet).  I'm still learning, and it's probably something to do in the form
of a configuration that I haven't learned about yet, but if someone could
tell me what this is all about, I'd appreciate it.

Erik Michelsen

/usr/sbin/nmbd Error?

Post by John Timmer » Sat, 27 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> While I was looking through my syslog on another problem, I discovered
> this set of errors repeated numerous times since I brought the operating
> system up for the first time a month ago.

> inetd[68]: /usr/sbin/nmbd: exit status 0x1
> last message repeated 31 times
> last message repeated 4 times
> inetd[68]: netbios-ns/udp server failing (looping), service terminated

> To date, I have not even looked at inetd (basically haven't gotten to it
> yet).  I'm still learning, and it's probably something to do in the form
> of a configuration that I haven't learned about yet, but if someone could
> tell me what this is all about, I'd appreciate it.

> Erik Michelsen

Hello, just read your /etc/inetd.conf file and find a couple of lines that look
like what I have clipped from mine and pasted here.  Your inetd is calling the
netbeui name daemon which you probably didn't install. It is part of the SAMBA
package which gives your linux OS extra functionality (Read more about it at
the Samba homepage -- do search to find it :-)

# These are to start Samba, an smb server that can export filesystems to
# Pathworks, Lanmanager for DOS, Windows for Workgroups, Windows95, Lanmanager
# for Windows, Lanmanager for OS/2, Windows NT, etc.  Lanmanager for dos is
# available via ftp from ftp.microsoft.com in bussys/MSclient/dos/. Please read
# the licensing stuff before downloading. Use the TCP/IP option in the client.
# Add your server to the \etc\lmhosts (or equivalent) file on the client.
netbios-ssn     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/smbd  smbd
netbios-ns      dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/nmbd  nmbd

...use your editor to comment out these two lines, and presto, no more errot
messages.  If you are looking for a great package to allow full network
functionality between MS Windows and Linux, however, look into Samba -- it
works absolutely excellent !
--
Regards

...my other signature is illegible...

1. what is this /usr/sbin/nmbd error msg in syslog about??

On a pentium I just added to my net I get a high quantity of messages
in my syslog file saying:

inetd[44]: /usr/bin/nmbd: exit status 0x1

Also a lot of "Last message repeated 1,000,000 times" kinda deal.

I don't even have that program in that directory, or anywhere else
that I can tell. Only thing I can think of is my name service is
configured as a primary for a domain that is still served as primary
by someone else. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it
and it'll go away when the other ISP nukes that domain from their
NS and the change get processed by Internic. But that's just a guess.

Mark Jeftovic                      http://www.shmooze.net/~markjr

Private World Comm. * 19 Tyndall Ave #3 * Toronto, Ont. * C eh N eh D eh * M6K 2E8

2. EROS, persistency, ext3fs?

3. errors from inetd: /usr/sbin/nmbd?? Any ideas?

4. OpenSSL source has no signature?

5. Error Message: /usr/sbin/nmbd, why and what???

6. Linux can't find NE2000!?!?help!

7. HELP: unknown error: inetd[53]: /usr/sbin/nmbd: exit status 0x1

8. How to configure hosts.deny file

9. Error with /usr/sbin/nmbd - What does it mean?

10. /usr/sbin/traceroute ha1 ksh: /usr/sbin/traceroute: not found

11. /usr/sbin/nmbd ?

12. inetd[58]: /usr/sbin/nmbd: exit status 0x1

13. What's: inetd[67]: /usr/sbin/nmbd: exit status 0x1?