bootable floppy 'emergency' restore util?

bootable floppy 'emergency' restore util?

Post by Darrell Ber » Mon, 29 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I've just been through the 'unexpected powerdown ==> trashed filesystem'
experience...everything was sensibly backup up (tar) on DAT, but it still
took about 4 hours to build (from my slackware CD) a new filesystem,
install a basic system, restore the tar into a subdir and copy the
relevant bits (mostly /etc and /usr/local) back where they belonged.

WHat would have REALLY been useful is some utility that would

- fit on a floppy with a minimal system

- do all the fdisk stuff (with suitable prompts if necessary) to redo the
partitions and swap

- restore a complete filesystem cf ufsdump on Sun, from DAT

...all of which would have taken about 30 minutes and left me *much* more
confident that everything was in the right place with the correct
permissions when I'd finished...

Does anything like this exist for linux?

Does the equivalent of ufsdump exist for Linux?

thanks

Post by Stas » Mon, 29 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I've just been through the 'unexpected powerdown ==> trashed filesystem'
> experience...everything was sensibly backup up (tar) on DAT, but it still
> took about 4 hours to build (from my slackware CD) a new filesystem,
> install a basic system, restore the tar into a subdir and copy the
> relevant bits (mostly /etc and /usr/local) back where they belonged.

> WHat would have REALLY been useful is some utility that would

> - fit on a floppy with a minimal system

> - do all the fdisk stuff (with suitable prompts if necessary) to redo the
> partitions and swap

> - restore a complete filesystem cf ufsdump on Sun, from DAT

> ...all of which would have taken about 30 minutes and left me *much* more
> confident that everything was in the right place with the correct
> permissions when I'd finished...

> Does anything like this exist for linux?

> Does the equivalent of ufsdump exist for Linux?

> thanks

I am  having the same exact problem. I had a power down and now i can't get my system
back up.  Lilo boots, but it will not bring the system all the way up to prompt. It
simply freezes. My filesystem is full of errors....:(:( any one help us...????

Post by Tom Fawcet » Mon, 29 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I've just been through the 'unexpected powerdown ==> trashed filesystem'
> experience...everything was sensibly backup up (tar) on DAT, but it still
> took about 4 hours to build (from my slackware CD) a new filesystem,
> install a basic system, restore the tar into a subdir and copy the
> relevant bits (mostly /etc and /usr/local) back where they belonged.

> WHat would have REALLY been useful is some utility that would

> - fit on a floppy with a minimal system

> - do all the fdisk stuff (with suitable prompts if necessary) to redo the
> partitions and swap

> - restore a complete filesystem cf ufsdump on Sun, from DAT

> ...all of which would have taken about 30 minutes and left me *much* more
> confident that everything was in the right place with the correct
> permissions when I'd finished...

> Does anything like this exist for linux?

> Does the equivalent of ufsdump exist for Linux?

I'm not familiar with ufsdump, but if I understand your message, most
distributions (eg Slackware) come with rescue disks that do this.
That is, you could:

        boot the rescue disk
        run fdisk if necessary
        mke2fs /dev/hdxx
        mount -t ext2 /dev/hfxx /mnt
        cd /mnt ; tar xvf /dev/DAT_TAPE

What more is there that you wanted?

(Tar is a bad choice for backing up files, by the way.)

-Tom

--
Tom Fawcett         |   "The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich

Post by R. Scott Baile » Sat, 03 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> WHat would have REALLY been useful is some utility that would

> - fit on a floppy with a minimal system

> - do all the fdisk stuff (with suitable prompts if necessary) to redo the
> partitions and swap

> - restore a complete filesystem cf ufsdump on Sun, from DAT

Well, I use yard ("yet another rescue disk" as I recall) for this
purpose. It does the hard part of finding key files, making sure
required libraries are present, fitting everything into a ramdisk, and
then squashing that and a kernel onto a bootable, compressed floppy. (It
can expand to make a two-floppy set if you have too much stuff to fit on
a single disk. I get about 3MB on 1 okay.)

I'm happy at that point, with a single floppy I can boot the system from
and then manually use fdisk and mke2fs to prepare my hard disks, and tar
and whatever to restore my backups.

I suspect if you wanted to invest a little time it would be easy enough
to write a shell script to do initializations and restores matching your
current backup strategy. I didn't want to do that because I know the
minute I create that floppy, I'll go change something in my environment
and the procedure will end up doing the wrong thing. :-)

Yard is available from sunsite and its mirrors; the lsm follows:

Title:          Yard - creates rescue disks
Version:        1.6
Entered-date:   Sun Jul 14 1996
        disks.  It exploits the compressed ramdisk feature of 1.3.48+
kernels.
        With this feature you can get a standard kernel image plus
        about 2.4 meg of utilities on a single floppy.  You specify
        the set of files you want on the disk, and Yard does extensive
        checking of the files to increase chances that the rescue disk
        will work.  A 2-disk option is available if one isn't enough.
        Yard can now be used either with or without Lilo.
        Required: Perl 5, kernel 1.3.48+

Primary-site:   sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/system/Recovery
Alternate-site:
Platform:       Perl V5
Copying-policy: Same as Perl (GPL or Artistic)

----------

EDS / ESC - Detroit            313-556-6011 [8/346]

1. using 'restore' to restore one file

I know this is a silly question, but I want to make sure "restore" will do
what I think it's supposed to do before I try it and end up deleteing the
wrong files. Can 'restore' restore as little as one file or only a whole
directory? Reading the man page it makes it sound like it'll try to put
back all the files in a certain directory no matter what option you give
it. It's not very clear (at least to me ;) ). I think I have to use the "h"
key but when I actually start the extraction it tells me "warning xxx
directory already exists" when I'm trying to restore only a file that
exists in that directory, not that directory itself. I canceled the
operation because there are files in that directory I don't want restored.
Should I just ignore the warnings?

Can somone give me an example of how to restore one file from a "dump"
backup?

thanks!

2. Exchange behind Linux (Port forwarding)

3. restore giving 'resync restore, skipped N blocks'

4. Smbmount, Samba or nfsfs as backup solution

5. 'r' option of restore (dump/restore)

6. 100

7. Update: Can't make emergency boot floppy

8. Summertime awkward install?

9. Can't make emergency boot floppy

10. Q: where is 'dump' and 'restore' for linux?

11. NO OS mesg after emergency floppy restore-sco3.2v4.2

12. Making a lilo bootable floppy...it doesn't work

13. Luigi's bootable floppy dummynet - ethernet HW config