MS Exchange Server e-mail client?

Post by Grant Edwar » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Is there any Linux client software that will allow access to
e-mail on a MS Exchange Server using Exchange's "native"
protocol rather than IMAP/POP/SMTP?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Yow! We're going to
                                  at               a new disco!

MS Exchange Server e-mail client?

Post by jonny » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

There is a company called Bynari (I think I spelled that correctly) that I
think has been advertising such a beast. I've never downloaded or used it
(I'm waiting for a native Lotus notes client myself). Do a little
searching at www.linuxtoday.com and you should be able to track down the
articles I'm thinking of.

regards - Jon

Post by Grant Edwar » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>There is a company called Bynari (I think I spelled that correctly) that I
>think has been advertising such a beast. I've never downloaded or used it
>(I'm waiting for a native Lotus notes client myself).

I found Bynari's web site and downloaded the demo version of
their e-mail client.  It currenlty only does POP/SMTP, and I
don't know how well, since I don't care about that (I use
mutt).  One of the dialog boxes has greyed-out buttons to
select IMAP and Exchange mailboxes.  Many of the other features
were also disabled.  Apparently, what they've gotten done so
far is mostly a GUI demo.

I read through their web pages several times and was unabled to
figure out if the e-mail client talked to an exchange server
direclty or to some daemon of theirs that ran on an NT box and
acted as an intermediary between their client and the Exchange
server.

If they had an Exchange Server client that worked, I'd buy a
copy.  I get the distinct feeling that all they've got is a UI
demo that does POP/SMTP and a bunch of system architecture
drawings.

I'm not holding my breath...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Now my EMOTIONAL
                                  at               RESOURCES are heavily

1. Linux Firewalls, MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server

Hi all,

I will be modifying a LAN config in the near future and was looking for any
thoughts, mods, etc. for what I have in mind. Feel free to shoot it down in
flames - but do it nicely :-)

Currently, the set up is a single subnet, with a multi-homed box hosting
both MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server. This is linked to a
dial-on-demand ISDN router via the extrernal network card. All very
simple....

In a few months we'll be going over to an ASDL line, fixed IP address (or
range) and I want to secure the network appropriately. We may also want to
host our own web and ftp servers at a later date.

I've been looking through the newgroups and FAQ sites and a suitable set up
seems to be:

ASDL router

Linux Firewall -----------Future DMZ segment for Web and FTP servers

 Secured LAN with MS Exchange Server and MS Proxy Server

The firewall will be providing MASQuarading for the LAN - together with
packet filtering.
Any future web and ftp servers would be implemented with a seperate DMZ
network segment off of a third NIC on the firewall.

The following config is what I'm not too sure about....

In order to log web access and provide caching, we will keep the proxy
server on the internal LAN - but it will not be the firewall, just a regular
node with the linux firewall set as its gateway. Generally, all outbound
web, ftp etc access will be blocked except for the appropriate proxy server
ports and IP address. Then any MS client needing internet access will use
the proxy sever via winsock etc. Any future non-MS boxes could access
through the firewall directly - having set up specific outbound rules for
their IP addresses on the firewall.

The MS Exchange server will be placed on the internal LAN - not the DNZ. The
SMTP feed will be routed through the firewall. ##### Does anyone have any
insights on setting up such a rule for IPCHAINS - can it be done when the
firewall is MASQuarading the rest of the LAN?

There would also be an internal DNS server handling cache forwarding to the
DNS servers of the ISP. This would be placed on the internal LAN.

Any suggestions, ideas, flames etc more than welcome.

2. Modem Dial-in

3. URGENT! Linux vs MS-Exchange as email server

4. Kernel compile problem after reboot

5. Linux client to MS exchange server

6. Help! PPP dialup unidirectional PAP

7. Creating a glbal address list with a linux server and MS Win95 Clients with Exchange

8. Inetd error with Qpopper

9. mail client/server with MS Exchange

10. Linux Exchange/MS Mail clients and servers

11. email client to access Exchange server

12. Using MS-Outlook as email client, now how to configure Linux server?

13. MS patches Exchange 2000 email spy bug