Linux firewall software question

Post by mike » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Is there good firewall software for Linux that will also block Netscape
pop-ups (like when you load somebody's page and some idiotic pop-up comes
onto your screen)?

Thanks...

Mike
--

------------------------

Auntie Em: Hate you, hate Kansas; took the dog - Dorothy

Post by Dances With Cro » Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:53:08

>Is there good firewall software for Linux that will also block Netscape
>pop-ups (like when you load somebody's page and some idiotic pop-up comes
>onto your screen)?

That is not really a firewall matter.  All the traffic necessary for
generating a pop-up can take place over port 80, and if you block port
80, you are going to have some very unhappy users.  I suppose you could
set up the Squid proxy server and have it search through all HTTP
traffic for the Javascript commands that pop up additional windows and
silently terminate them with extreme prejudice.  Your call, but the
easiest way to fix this is most likely to disable Javascript within
Netscape.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
-----------------------------/    I hit a seg fault....

Linux firewall software question

Post by Gregory Spa » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

>Is there good firewall software for Linux that will also block Netscape
>pop-ups (like when you load somebody's page and some idiotic pop-up comes
>onto your screen)?

The only way I've found that exists is to disable javascript.  There *IS* a
modified version of mosaic out there that can be configured as a proxy to
"rewrite" web pages as you view them.  That will do what you want.

Do a search on "filtering proxy" on google.  Here's a hit that may do
what you wish:

        http://www.cert.dfn.de/eng/fwl/httpf/httpf.html

I have considered writing a proxy for just this purpose (filtering
out only certain javascript calls...like that annoying onopen() and
onclose() crap).  I just haven't had the time.

>Thanks...

>Mike
>--

>------------------------

>Auntie Em: Hate you, hate Kansas; took the dog - Dorothy

--
Gregory Spath

SCHeckler on IRC ----------> http://freefall.homeip.net/javairc/
Team YBR ------------------> http://www.yellowbreechesracing.org/

1. LINUX/shorewall firewall to firewall VPN question

I have a linux firewall front ending a site which works fine.  I am
using shorewall as the script interface to iptables.

I would like to place another linux firewall at a remote site so that
I can build an incryped tunnel between each site.  I would like to
mount windows shared folders over the net securly using DSL.  I want
to do SSL type encrypton between each site.

I have used SSL to build tunnels but I don't know how to configure
this type of tunnel with shorewall and iptables.

Could someone point me to information on how to configure this type of
connection.

2. Help: NFS and Input/output error

3. Do I need a software firewall in addition to a NAT router/firewall?

4. Which Linux Should I get? Help.

5. Gigabit redundant firewall questions (hardware and software)

6. Netgear Trouble 3 (Pinging)

7. VPN Client Software through Linux Firewall

8. Best commercial backup app.

9. Is there software to do NAT on linux firewall machine?

10. Searching: Firewall-software for Linux

11. Linux behind Befsr41 router - software firewall necessary?

12. Firewall software for Linux

13. Anti-virus software and Firewall for Linux