Recommendation for X-based newsreader

Post by xci.. » Tue, 25 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I am looking for a decent x-based newsreader. I am not happy at all with the
performance of tin over my 33.6 modem link. I'm not sure if this can be
improved, so I'm looking for something that runs in X.

My only requirement is that it be fairly robust with threading.

OTOH, if anyone has any recommedations for improving the performance of tin
over a dialup line, I'd appreciate that, too, because I really like tin.

Recommendation for X-based newsreader

Post by John Timme » Wed, 26 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I am looking for a decent x-based newsreader. I am not happy at all with the
>performance of tin over my 33.6 modem link. I'm not sure if this can be
>improved, so I'm looking for something that runs in X.

>My only requirement is that it be fairly robust with threading.

>OTOH, if anyone has any recommedations for improving the performance of tin
>over a dialup line, I'd appreciate that, too, because I really like tin.

Whats with the recent spurt of all the questions about newsreaders?  Is
there something that I don't know happening somewhere thats causing this
phenomenom? Oh, well, if you're used to tin, then you'll be happier than a
pig in shit with slrn.  It works very well with a support app called (aptly
enough) slrnpull, which when run, will collect all your newsgroups, and
spool then on your own machine. Then you go offline, and read those messages
with "slrn --spool" and you can even post followups, etc while offline,
which will be automatically sent the next time you run slrnpull.  Slick,
very slick, with support for the mouse (clicking, etc) in X while using
rxvt, xterm, etc.
--
Regards

Post by M. Buchenried » Wed, 26 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>I am looking for a decent x-based newsreader. I am not happy at all with the
>performance of tin over my 33.6 modem link. I'm not sure if this can be
>improved, so I'm looking for something that runs in X.
>My only requirement is that it be fairly robust with threading.

[...]

Try knews or NN-TK. NN-TK is the more sophisticated one, but it
requires taking the time to read the NN manuals.

Michael

Portable, adj.:
                          Survives system reboot.

Post by Wayne Dubo » Wed, 26 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I am looking for a decent x-based newsreader. I am not happy at all with the
> performance of tin over my 33.6 modem link. I'm not sure if this can be
> improved, so I'm looking for something that runs in X.

> My only requirement is that it be fairly robust with threading.

> OTOH, if anyone has any recommedations for improving the performance of tin
> over a dialup line, I'd appreciate that, too, because I really like tin.

I am really pleased with knews.  It's x-based, with all the
user-configurability that you could want, and does suppport threading
(which can be triggered to occur in the background while you are
reading another newsgroup).

The knews hompage url:
http://www.student.nada.kth.se/~su95-kjo/knews.html

 - w

Recommendation for X-based newsreader

Post by Bud Roge » Wed, 26 Mar 1997 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I am looking for a decent x-based newsreader. I am not happy at all with the
> performance of tin over my 33.6 modem link. I'm not sure if this can be
> improved, so I'm looking for something that runs in X.

I'm pretty happy with Knews.  It does threads, it's configurable, and
the GUI interface is intuitive -- at least for me.  But it's not going
to help with your slow-link problem -- that's another question
entirely.

http://www.nada.kth.se/~su95-kjo/knews.html
ftp://ftp.nada.kth.se/home/su95-kjo/

Quote:> OTOH, if anyone has any recommedations for improving the performance of tin
> over a dialup line, I'd appreciate that, too, because I really like tin.

Spend some time with the man page for tin.  It's been a while since I
dealt with this, but I think the p, q, and n switches might help you.

What I finally did was install leafnode on this machine.  I use a cron
job to dial in during offpeak hours and retrieve the newsgroups I'm
interested in.  Then I use knews (and tin sometimes, for that matter)
to read news from a small local spool.  Articles pop up almost
instantly.  Very nice.

Author:         Arnt Gulbrandsen
Primary-site:   ftp.troll.no /freebies/leafnode
Alternate-site: ftp.sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/system/News/readers
Platforms:      Linux elf system for compiled elf version.

--

Post by Mark Ram » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I am looking for a decent x-based newsreader. I am not happy at all with the
> performance of tin over my 33.6 modem link. I'm not sure if this can be
> improved, so I'm looking for something that runs in X.

> My only requirement is that it be fairly robust with threading.

> OTOH, if anyone has any recommedations for improving the performance of tin
> over a dialup line, I'd appreciate that, too, because I really like tin.

--
Mark J. Ramos

Post by Paul A. Cheshir » Sat, 29 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> > I am looking for a decent x-based newsreader. I am not happy at all with the
> > performance of tin over my 33.6 modem link. I'm not sure if this can be
> > improved, so I'm looking for something that runs in X.

> > My only requirement is that it be fairly robust with threading.

> > OTOH, if anyone has any recommedations for improving the performance of tin
> > over a dialup line, I'd appreciate that, too, because I really like tin.

> --
> Mark J. Ramos

You could try Leafnode. It will fetch/post all your news in one session.
Just point your 'online' nerwsreader at it (your hostname) and Eureka! I
am currently using NewtScrape Navigator (see header) to access news
offline and it works quite well, except it does not thread very well.
Communicator insists on a login but anything keyed in is invalid.

--
    "Linux - To reboot is to upgrade"
  UNIX is user-friendly.  It's just selective about who its friends are.

Recommendation for X-based newsreader

Post by David Ishe » Sat, 29 Mar 1997 04:00:00

If you know how to use emacs, try gnus. Gnus is distributed with
emacs, and you can download newer versions. I'm very happy with it
over a 14.4K modem link. It has very good threading.
--

David

| David Ishee                                                        |

| Mississippi State University                                       |
|                                                                    |
+------------- http://www2.msstate.edu/~dmi1/index.html -------------+

Recommendation for X-based newsreader

Post by Jim Rober » Mon, 31 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Knews is a very good X based, theaded news reader.  It works
well over dial up links because you can set it to not read
the entire news group list each time, only the ones you
subscribe to.  From startup to reading the first artical for
me takes about 30 seconds.

You will need the Xforms libs to use.

Jim

>If you know how to use emacs, try gnus. Gnus is distributed with
>emacs, and you can download newer versions. I'm very happy with it
>over a 14.4K modem link. It has very good threading.
>--

Recommendation for X-based newsreader

Post by No0n » Tue, 01 Apr 1997 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I am looking for a decent x-based newsreader. I am not happy at all with the
> performance of tin over my 33.6 modem link. I'm not sure if this can be
> improved, so I'm looking for something that runs in X.

> My only requirement is that it be fairly robust with threading.

> OTOH, if anyone has any recommedations for improving the performance of tin
> over a dialup line, I'd appreciate that, too, because I really like tin.

well, the only one i know of is knews, its pretty good, and its for X11, its goes a little faster than tin.
--
-Kevin .T Shaw aka "No0ne"

http://www.netcom.com/~no0ne/key.html for pub pgp key

Windows: I can play Doom! Linux: I can be a file server,
a web server, run multiple accounting package with twelve
terminals AND play doom!

Linux 2.0.29 i586 becuase reboots are for upgrades.

Post by Chris Saunderso » Wed, 02 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>> I am looking for a decent x-based newsreader. I am not happy at all with the
>> performance of tin over my 33.6 modem link. I'm not sure if this can be
>> improved, so I'm looking for something that runs in X.

>> My only requirement is that it be fairly robust with threading.

>> OTOH, if anyone has any recommedations for improving the performance of tin
>> over a dialup line, I'd appreciate that, too, because I really like tin.
> well, the only one i know of is knews, its pretty good, and its for X11, its
> goes a little faster than tin.

knews is a good solution (ran it over a 14.4K modem for a while).

Try running tin with -nrq (and read the man page!).

Of course, gnus is the *real* X based newsreader =)

Cheers

Saundo

--

Technical Support Engineer      Telephone: (08) 8379 7333
                Maptek Pty Ltd - Adelaide

Recommendation for X-based newsreader

Post by Andrea Sorman » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Knews is a very good X based, theaded news reader.  It works
> well over dial up links because you can set it to not read
> the entire news group list each time, only the ones you
> subscribe to.  From startup to reading the first artical for
> me takes about 30 seconds.

> You will need the Xforms libs to use.

Knews 0.9.8 does not need Xforms lib, it uses a custom widget set
included in the tar archive.

Regards.

--
  Andrea