What happened to xpr?

Post by Mike Fonteno » Mon, 12 Nov 2001 08:53:06

The xpr command converts an X window dump (obtained via xwd)
to postscript, so that it can be printed via lpr or lp.

But xpr no longer seems to be part of Linux.  Maybe it
never was, but it is still referred to in the xwd man
page.  It is also discussed in my X User's Manual (which
is for X11 R4).  I also used it on my Redhat 5.0 system,
but I don't know for sure if it was part of that distribution,
or if I got it from somewhere else.

What happened to it, and is there an equivalent substitute?

I want to be able to do the whole operation with a single
pipeline command (like "xwd | xpr | lpr"), and not have to run
xv or gimp in a window and do multiple mouse clicks.

        Mike Fontenot

What happened to xpr?

Post by Martin Stenze » Mon, 12 Nov 2001 20:52:59

Mike Fontenot schrieb:

> The xpr command converts an X window dump (obtained via xwd)
> to postscript, so that it can be printed via lpr or lp.

> But xpr no longer seems to be part of Linux.  Maybe it
> never was, but it is still referred to in the xwd man
> page.  It is also discussed in my X User's Manual (which
> is for X11 R4).  I also used it on my Redhat 5.0 system,
> but I don't know for sure if it was part of that distribution,
> or if I got it from somewhere else.

> What happened to it, and is there an equivalent substitute?

> I want to be able to do the whole operation with a single
> pipeline command (like "xwd | xpr | lpr"), and not have to run
> xv or gimp in a window and do multiple mouse clicks.

>         Mike Fontenot

Hallo Mike,

maybe this one is a solution for you:

Get the ImageMagick program from http://www.imagemagick.org or from your

Linux distribution. Part of the package is a program called 'convert'.
This will do
the job:

Create the following alias:

# alias xpr='convert xwd:- ps:-'

Now something like "xwd | xpr | lpr" should work.

Of course there are quite some options to xpr, however, a simple
printout from
your screen to your printer should be possible with my suggested idea.

Success,

Martin.

1. RedHat 5.2 - xpr missing

I'm trying to perform the "Print Window Bitmap" from within X3270, which
performs the following command sequence;

xwd -id ######## | xpr | lpr

This option fails with the message that xpr can not be found.  I have
searched my workstation using "find" and have found no hits.  There is no
man page on my workstation for xpr, but I do have one for xwd.

It appears though that the xpr command is not loaded.  I have been
unsuccessful in locating a reference in the RedHat manual as to what RPM
this may be in, if any.

Any pointers as to what I can do to resolve the mystery of this missing
command?

Thanks....

Pete Gentry

2. PID assignment