Installation troubles with RH and win95

Post by Emilie Glove » Sun, 01 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello, and thank you in advance for your help.

I've been trying to install RH on a logical partition created with
Partition Magic on my machine.  A friend who has been helping me insists

that we have to format the logical D: drive before we can install Linux,

but when we try to do that, we get a message that brings a chill to my
old DOS user's soul:  Are you sure you want to format your C: drive?
Gee, you think?  We hit no every time.  DOS also won't recognise my
CD-ROM drive, which compounds the problem.

Now, I've come to you, the experts, for assistance.  The most important
thing to keep in mind is that the horrible place that sold this boat
anchor to me in the first place also installed my software for me - and
then "lost" the disks.  Since we're talking about roughly $2200 worth of

software, I don't want to risk losing it.  Please keep this in mind.

Now for my questions:

1.  Do I really need to format the logical partition?
2.  Could I fix the CD-ROM recognition problem simply by un-remarking
the driver in my autoexec.bat file?  If so, would I be able to use the
CD drive from Linux with the driver remarked out for win95's benefit?
3.  Are there files I could just copy over to my C: partition to install

RH from there?  If so, which files?
4.  How would you recommend that I continue from here?

Thank you very much for your assistance with these questions.  Although
I've used UNIX happily for years, I've never installed Linux, and am
feeling pretty dim about this whole thing.

Emilie

Post by Curtis Jewell / Dennis Whale » Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Hello, and thank you in advance for your help.

>I've been trying to install RH on a logical partition created with
>Partition Magic on my machine.  A friend who has been helping me insists
>that we have to format the logical D: drive before we can install Linux,
>but when we try to do that, we get a message that brings a chill to my
>old DOS user's soul:  Are you sure you want to format your C: drive?
>Gee, you think?  We hit no every time.  DOS also won't recognise my
>CD-ROM drive, which compounds the problem.

As well it should, since you will be. DOS FORMAT DOESN'T KNOW ABOUT ext2fs
partitions!!!
<I am assuming you have PartMagic 4.0, which knows about ext2fs, and set
THAT in PM>
You'll need to mke2fs it instead! (which RH should give you the opportunity
to do as part of it's installation. I know Debian does.)

Quote:>1.  Do I really need to format the logical partition?

See previous statement.

Quote:>2.  Could I fix the CD-ROM recognition problem simply by un-remarking
>the driver in my autoexec.bat file?  If so, would I be able to use the
>CD drive from Linux with the driver remarked out for win95's benefit?

Depends. There should be a driver in the config.sys and MSCDEX in the
autoexec.bat.

If both are there, you have other problems!

Quote:>3.  Are there files I could just copy over to my C: partition to install
>RH from there?  If so, which files?
>4.  How would you recommend that I continue from here?

Sorry I can't help you with 3 and 4.

Quote:>Thank you very much for your assistance with these questions.  Although
>I've used UNIX happily for years, I've never installed Linux, and am
>feeling pretty dim about this whole thing.

Don't be.

--Curtis

1. BRU + RH 5.1 + Win95 = trouble

I can use BRU for backing up the Linux partitions on my Pentium
200 system w/o any visible problems.

What I can't do is us BRU to backup the Win95 partition on the
same system.  I get this error:

bru: [E018] "/win95/winmcad/mathsoft.ntf": read error: errno = 5,
            Input/output error

Similarly when I try 'file /win95/winmcad/mathsoft.ntf' I get an
error that makes me think that something is busted with that
file.

Also, when I try BRU to backup the Win95 partition I get 425
warnings similar to these:

bru: [W019] "/win95/autoexec.bat": warning - file was truncated
bru: [W019] "/win95/msdos.---": warning - file was truncated
bru: [W019] "/win95/netlog.txt": warning - file was truncated
bru: [W019] "/win95/windows/inf/mscdrom.inf": warning - file was truncated
bru: [W019] "/win95/windows/inf/netauxt.inf": warning - file was truncated
bru: [W019] "/win95/windows/inf/unknown.inf": warning - file was truncated
bru: [W019] "/win95/windows/system/kbdus.kbd": warning - file was truncated
bru: [W019] "/win95/windows/help/hypertrm.cnt": warning - file was truncated
bru: [W019] "/win95/windows/help/packager.cnt": warning - file was truncated
bru: [W019] "/win95/windows/help/dialer.cnt": warning - file was truncated
bru: [W019] "/win95/windows/help/wangocx.cnt": warning - file was truncated
bru: [W019] "/win95/windows/help/wangshl.cnt": warning - file was truncated
bru: [W019] "/win95/windows/help/apmcp.cnt": warning - file was truncated
bru: [W019] "/win95/windows/help/pingname.bat": warning - file was truncated
bru: [W019] "/win95/windows/help/pingnum.bat": warning - file was truncated
bru: [W019] "/win95/windows/help/calc.cnt": warning - file was truncated
bru: [W019] "/win95/windows/help/notepad.cnt": warning - file was truncated

I'm running Redhat 5.1, kernel 2.0.34, and all but the last
couple of Redhat's errata fixes for 5.1.  My backup device is
an HP 1534 2GB 4mm DAT drive on /dev/st0.  My SCSI board is a
Buslogic 958 Ultra SCSI-3.

Is anyone having the same trouble?  Does anyone have a fix?

3. Installation Problems - RH + win95

4. INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly

5. RH 7.2 installation - Mouse trouble...

6. ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp (about to give up...)

7. RH 5.0 installation troubles - backpack cdrom

8. date conversion

9. Installation TROUBLES RH 5 PLEASE HELP!

10. LILO installation trouble (rh 5.0)

11. Trouble w/Multia (UDB) RH 5.1 installation

12. RH 5 trouble during installation

13. Matrox Mystique ands X.