Some Questions...

Some Questions...

Post by Patrick Dan » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00



Hi,

I'm a new linux user, i've installed and have been using it for a coupla
of weeks.  So i've just got a few beginner questions. even though i'm
new to linux, i use SunOS 5.5.1 with CDE at work, so i'm a old newbie i
guess... at home i've got mandrake 6.0 running WindowMaker. (does anyone
know how to make that the default manager instead of kde?)

anyway,  i'm having a hell of a time setting up my soundcard
(/usr/sbin/sndconfig doesn't want to work, it says that /dev/dsp is
unknown) that's about the only real problem i have.

Otherwise, I have a brother hl720 (a windows printer) i was wondering if
there is any way that i can get that printer to work under linux (maybe
like writing a driver, though i have no clue what software processing
goes on in a windows only printer)

lastly, can anyone recommend a good linux book? there are alot out
there, and i'd like to get one that had been helpful to others. I'm
mostly looking for an intro book.

Thanks Alot

Patrick.

 
 
 

Some Questions...

Post by Alan Donova » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00



> I'm a new linux user, i've installed and have been using it for a coupla
> of weeks.  So i've just got a few beginner questions. even though i'm
> new to linux, i use SunOS 5.5.1 with CDE at work, so i'm a old newbie i
> guess... at home i've got mandrake 6.0 running WindowMaker. (does anyone
> know how to make that the default manager instead of kde?)

If you use startx or xinit to start your X session, there'll be a
.xinitrc file in your home dir, and in that it will start clients
(clock, xterm etc) and your choice of window manager. Probably somethine
similar with xdm/kdm but I've never bothered to use them.

Quote:> anyway,  i'm having a hell of a time setting up my soundcard
> (/usr/sbin/sndconfig doesn't want to work, it says that /dev/dsp is
> unknown) that's about the only real problem i have.

Missing driver?  Have you compiled sound into the kernel, or installed
the appropriate module? Take a look at the Sound-HOWTO if you haven't
already.

Quote:> Otherwise, I have a brother hl720 (a windows printer) i was wondering if
> there is any way that i can get that printer to work under linux (maybe
> like writing a driver, though i have no clue what software processing
> goes on in a windows only printer)

Is it PostScript? PCL5?  The former is much easier and covered in the
Printing-HOWTO, the latter will require a ghostscript driver setup. No
need to write C code though.

Quote:> lastly, can anyone recommend a good linux book? there are alot out
> there, and i'd like to get one that had been helpful to others. I'm
> mostly looking for an intro book.

I can't; I've never used a Linux book. It's knowing where to look on the
web that is the most important thing. Since you're obviously familiar
with UNIX already most books will be way too basic (e.g. "this is how ls
works") so you might one of the several kernel books. I would recommend
reading the sys admin guide (online), the HOWTOs (online, or in
/usr/doc) and various FAQs and docs on the web.

alan

------------------------------------------------------------------------

  Imerge Ltd.      +44 1223 875265

 
 
 

1. Mini-Linux Distribution Questions + General Questions + UMSDOS Questions

Basically I have recently installed the Mini-Linux distribution (from
sunsite.unc.edu) on my box  (486 66, 12Mb, Limited HDD space), and it
works and installs fine, runs fine.... Great I thought, lets install
on several other PC's - Install on another 486d266 - won't even start
- LOADLIN doesn't even begin decompressing the kernal......
Then try a 486dx4100, this time it decompresses kernal and starts
linux startup, and comes up with a HDD sector size too big (its a
544Mb drive) and says "Giving up"..... Linux doesn't start at all.
Anyone else got an experience with this (the mini-linux distribution
is 1.0.9 kernal I think)

Next On the PC that mini-linux runs on, X won't start - cannot start
my graphics card (its an Advance Logic card, Vesa compatible).  Anyone
know how to fix this?

I run mini-linux for several reasons, the main one being the lack of
HDD space (I have 20Mb free without mini-linux, 0.5Mb with), howver I
have heard that the latest distributions include UMSDOS, so now onto
the UMSDOS questions:

Which kernal works best with UMSDOS, and will fit in 20Mb, with the
majority of data residing on CD?

Do the latest linux kernals support a SB16 and panasonic double speed
CD?  Also are NEC drives supported (a mate has one of these)

Basically I cannot delete my  DOS partition, as my family cannot use
linux to save their lives, and love MS word, so I need UMSDOS, so both
can happily reside on one partition (I don't want to partition)

Also does UMSDOS have any problem booting off a d: drive (I am
installing another 100Mb drive to try to alleviate the space problem)

Right thats it......
Thanks for your help and I apologize for the bad spelling in some
places (my software don't spell check).

IMPORTANT:  My news feed is knackered, so can replyies be by mail as
well as news please?

Dan (Linux newbie)

2. How to reinstall the bootloader

3. Questions, questions questions

4. Problem with #9 771

5. 3 issues --- 1-Gnome Question, 2-CDRom Detect Question, 3-IMLIB Question

6. Linuxthreads - Long delay on condition vars

7. Questions Questions Questions ???

8. can i kill an nfs mount?

9. Questions, Questions, and more Questions..

10. 3 issues --- 1-Gnome Question, 2-CDRom Detect Question, 3-IMLIB Question

11. Newbie Questions (ICEWM Background, ppp question, mem > 64mb)

12. sar Question (probably a newbie question)

13. A followup question to "A C question (about strlen)"