Xceed sessions "disappear"

Post by mastiff.. » Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Is there a setting that limits the # of remote login sessions on the
machine and where is it?  Also,  our engineers use 'Xceed' to rlogin to
our linux box from a pc and their windows have started to disappear
whithout warning and leaves their sessions open on the linux(RH 6.1).

We've been having major automount difficulties since 1/1/00.

When trying to debug all of this I noticed a "firewall" daemon running,
under control svc activity(linuxconf), which I cannot disable.  We are
inside a firewall and don't need any added security, as well as I
thought this may be limiting our rlogins.  Any ideas how to turn it off?

Thank you for your help.

--John Spencer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Xceed sessions "disappear"

Post by Jon Gerde » Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Determine your run level (3 if you only have terminals running on the
console, or 5 if you have X session runnin on the console).  Then:

# cd /etc/rc.d/rcx.d  (x is the run level)

look for something like S20firewall, which is a symlink to a script in
/etc/rc.d/init.d . Delete the symlink.

If that draws a blank look into /etc/rc.local which is a script as well
for references to it.

Finally ps auwwwx (yes 3 x w) may give some clues as well

Cheers
Jon Gerdes

> Is there a setting that limits the # of remote login sessions on the
> machine and where is it?  Also,  our engineers use 'Xceed' to rlogin to
> our linux box from a pc and their windows have started to disappear
> whithout warning and leaves their sessions open on the linux(RH 6.1).

> We've been having major automount difficulties since 1/1/00.

> When trying to debug all of this I noticed a "firewall" daemon running,
> under control svc activity(linuxconf), which I cannot disable.  We are
> inside a firewall and don't need any added security, as well as I
> thought this may be limiting our rlogins.  Any ideas how to turn it off?

> Thank you for your help.

> --John Spencer

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Xceed sessions "disappear"

Post by Jonathan Voig » Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:00:00

go into the /etc/rc.d or /etc/rc/d/init.d and remove the script that starts
the daemon...

I had somilar problems with a gated, so I just removed the startup script /
or you can rename it...

--

http://jonsbox.dhs.org
http://www.voicomm.com