Scripts for ppp-on, ppp-on-dialer, ppp-off

Scripts for ppp-on, ppp-on-dialer, ppp-off

Post by <jobow.. » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 09:29:39

Help-

I apologize for the organization of this email.  I have read many of the
most straightforward and informative.  RCN is my ISP.  The WvDial script
works fine via gnome from one of  my other linux machines.  How do I get
this script to work using PPP.  I thought it would be easier if I provided
the site which provided the information for editing the necessary files and
scripts at the RCN site.  I hope I have not asked too much of you.  I need
the assistance of someone who really knows what they are doing.  I thought
connecting to my ISP would be a simple matter.

WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.41
Initializing modem.
Sending ATZ
ATZ
OK
Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
OK
Sending: ATM0
ATM0
OK
Modem initialized.
Sending: ATDT 2128428111
Waiting for carrier.
ATDT 2128428111
CONNECT 115200
Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.

** Ascend TNT2.NYW.EROLS.NET Terminal Server **

Login: Looks like a login prompt.
Sending: 'myloginname'
'myloginname'
Password: Looks like a password prompt.
Sending: (password)

Basically, this is the script that works while using gnome to connect to my
ISP.

This is the script I was told to create in order to connect to my ISP using
PPP.

The site where this information is located is:
http://www.rcn./support/internet/linux/faq/general/the_files/the_file...

I am new to Linux, so I don't quite know what I am doing.  I have wondered
why the script which works for gnome does not work for pppd.

Scripts for ppp-on, ppp-on-dialer, ppp-off

Post by John Hasle » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 11:48:25

Quote:> The WvDial script works fine via gnome from one of my other linux
> machines.  How do I get this script to work using PPP.

Using the wvdial program _is_ using PPP.

Quote:> I thought it would be easier if I provided the site which provided the
> information for editing the necessary files and scripts at the RCN site.

Nope.  It would take me five minutes or so to bring up my dialup link and
load the page.  I don't have time for that.  Post your scripts and logs.

Quote:> I thought connecting to my ISP would be a simple matter.

It would be, if you were using Debian.

Quote:> Basically, this is the script that works while using gnome to connect to
> my ISP.

That isn't a script.  That's a set of messages from wvdial.

Quote:> This is the script I was told to create in order to connect to my ISP
> using PPP.

Never use the Linux scripts supplied by an ISP.  They are always crap.
Just use the ISP's script as reference material.

Quote:> I have wondered why the script which works for gnome does not work for
> pppd.

This sentence makes no sense.  Wvdial uses pppd, as does every other
"dialer".

I don't quite understand what your problem is.  Is it that wvdial works
fine but you want to use the Slackware-style ppp-on scripts?
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, Wisconsin

Post by Mary » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> The WvDial script
> works fine via gnome from one of  my other linux machines.  How do I get
> this script to work using PPP.

Reading between the lines here, I got the feeling you were running the
wvdial "script" via gnome (GUI) on the "other Linux machine" and now you
want to make it run from a command line -- I could be way off base here
but otherwise I am not sure what the problem is. If you want to run wvdial
all you need to do is type in wvdial from your command line and it'll
start up. If you have the rest of your ppp files set up right it should
just take over and dial in. You don't need the icon or button in Gnome to
start it.

If this doesn't address your problem, sorry.

MP