DOS-EMU permissions & find files ??

Post by Sergei Naumo » Thu, 13 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hi!
I just installed DOS-EMU, and I seen to have a funny thing taking
place. It runs all right but the thing is that when I am not root,
a few programs, by some reason, can't find files in a directory in
my dos partition. They show the directory structure but when I am
trying to actually load the files. If am root, everything seems to
ok. Why?

I have a suspicion that it is related to another problem. Somehow,
when I mount my dos partition, it always becomes root:root owned
and others can not write there. Why?

Thanks,
                Sergei

--
++++++++++++ http://sunsite.oit.unc.edu/sergei/Me/Serge.html ++++++++++

+Department of Physics & Astronomy, UNC-CH, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA+
++++++++++++++++++ !! 8 bit (Cyrillic) mail accepted !!++++++++++++++++

Post by Uwe Bonne » Fri, 14 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: Hi!
: I just installed DOS-EMU, and I seen to have a funny thing taking
: place. It runs all right but the thing is that when I am not root,
: a few programs, by some reason, can't find files in a directory in
: my dos partition. They show the directory structure but when I am
: trying to actually load the files. If am root, everything seems to
: ok. Why?

: I have a suspicion that it is related to another problem. Somehow,
: when I mount my dos partition, it always becomes root:root owned
: and others can not write there. Why?

Have a look a "man fstab" to find out how to mount a vfat partition with
appropriate user rights.

1. DOS-Emu and File Handles...

I have a friend running DOSEmu 0.60 (I believe).  When he tries to load
certain programs (for example: WordPerfect 6.0b for DOS, Intermail, and
there may be others), he receives a message stating: "Not enough file
handles" or something to that effect.  Now, as I understand, he's reset
the file handles line in his system startup files (autoexec.bat and / or
config.sys) to place a higher number of open file handles on the system.

Seems that this doesn't help at all...

I'm not too knowledgeable about the internal workings of DOS so I wonder
if anyone has seen this before under DOSEmu and might be able to provide
some input?

Again, I don't use DOSEmu on this system here, so I obviously cannot
reproduce the problem that he is having... so I get all this second-hand
info...  :(