Anyone Got Star Office Beta 3 working ?

Post by Sean Aker » Wed, 15 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi Folks,

I spent of lot of time (and money) downloading Star Office last night but I
can't get the damn thing working. I can run soffice3 OK and it comes up with an
icon bar. When I select an application, it spends ages trying to load, comes up
with a title picture then I get s 'segmentation fault, closing application'
dialogue and must cancel the application.

I'm running RedHat 4 kernel 2.0.18 on a Pentium 166 with 32Mb Ram and 64Mb
Swap with XFree 3.2 and Swim Motif.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'd hate to have wasted all that time and
money.

Cheers,

Sean.

--

Using RedHat Linux 4.0

Anyone Got Star Office Beta 3 working ?

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 18 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>Hi Folks,

>I spent of lot of time (and money) downloading Star Office last night but I
>can't get the damn thing working. I can run soffice3 OK and it comes up with an
>icon bar. When I select an application, it spends ages trying to load, comes up
>with a title picture then I get s 'segmentation fault, closing application'
>dialogue and must cancel the application.

>I'm running RedHat 4 kernel 2.0.18 on a Pentium 166 with 32Mb Ram and 64Mb
>Swap with XFree 3.2 and Swim Motif.

Unfortunately, Star Office segfaults instead of giving you a sensible
error message for missing files and other errors.  Report it as a bug.
There are many possible causes of this sort of behavior, especially since
the installation routines don't set things up correctly.  Report that as
a bug.  The most common causes of these problems include lack of read or
execute permissions on files in the Star Office directory tree and
failure to set up environment variables.  After using chmod to add global
read access to all the files and directories in the Star Office directory,
I added the following to my .bashrc file:

# A string of environment variables for Star Office
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/StarOffice3.1/linux-x86/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib
export XPPATH=/usr/local/StarOffice3.1/xp3
export HELPPATH=/usr/local/StarOffice3.1/modules
export XENVIRONMENT=/usr/local/StarOffice3.1/starview.xres
export SVFONTPATH=/usr/local/StarOffice3.1/fonts/75dpi:/usr/local/StarOffice3.1/fonts/75dpi/bdf:/usr/local/StarOffice3.1/fonts/type1:/os2/sys_mods/fonts
export SVHOME=/usr/local/StarOffice3.1

This got it working.  (Of course, you might need to modify some other
file(s) if you're not using bash as your shell.)  Also, be sure you've got
Motif 2.0 installed correctly; without it, Star Office will be useless.  I
don't know how it behaves if Motif isn't present, but given how it behaves
when other files aren't there, a segfault would be my first guess.

StarDivision has a news server, I think at news.stardivision.de or
news.stardivision.com.  It's got a newsgroup devoted to discussions of the
betas.  Check it out, especially if my suggestions don't get it working
for you; somebody may have some other suggestions there that would.

| Rod Smith                                 Author of:               |

| http://ezinfo.ucs.indiana.edu/~rodsmith   "OS/2 Soundcard Summary" |

Anyone Got Star Office Beta 3 working ?

Post by Richard Jon » Sun, 19 Jan 1997 04:00:00

:
: Hi Folks,
:
: I spent of lot of time (and money) downloading Star Office last night but I
: can't get the damn thing working. I can run soffice3 OK and it comes up with an
: icon bar. When I select an application, it spends ages trying to load, comes up
: with a title picture then I get s 'segmentation fault, closing application'
: dialogue and must cancel the application.
:
: I'm running RedHat 4 kernel 2.0.18 on a Pentium 166 with 32Mb Ram and 64Mb
: Swap with XFree 3.2 and Swim Motif.
:
: Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'd hate to have wasted all that time and
: money.

Try sourcing ".sd.sh" or ".sd.csh" before running it. This is
not documented, it seems.

Rich.

--
"The real tight interface is between the book and the reader - the world of
the book is plugged right into your brain, never mind the [virtual reality]

Anyone Got Star Office Beta 3 working ?

Post by Jan Houts » Mon, 20 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I have also heard you need Motiv 2.0 to run Star Office.
Don't know how crucioul that is however.

--jan--

: :
: : Hi Folks,
: :
: : I spent of lot of time (and money) downloading Star Office last night but I
: : can't get the damn thing working. I can run soffice3 OK and it comes up with an
: : icon bar. When I select an application, it spends ages trying to load, comes up
: : with a title picture then I get s 'segmentation fault, closing application'
: : dialogue and must cancel the application.
: :
: : I'm running RedHat 4 kernel 2.0.18 on a Pentium 166 with 32Mb Ram and 64Mb
: : Swap with XFree 3.2 and Swim Motif.
: :
: : Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'd hate to have wasted all that time and
: : money.

: Try sourcing ".sd.sh" or ".sd.csh" before running it. This is
: not documented, it seems.

: Rich.

: --
: "The real tight interface is between the book and the reader - the world of
: the book is plugged right into your brain, never mind the [virtual reality]
: bodysuit"
: -- from The Age of Missing Information, by Bill McKibben.
--
Jan Houtsma
Hilversum, the Netherlands

http://www.houtsma.demon.nl

Anyone Got Star Office Beta 3 working ?

Post by John Hende » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I spent of lot of time (and money) downloading Star Office last night but I
>can't get the damn thing working. I can run soffice3 OK and it comes up with an
>icon bar. When I select an application, it spends ages trying to load, comes up
>with a title picture then I get s 'segmentation fault, closing application'
>dialogue and must cancel the application.

You missed the part in the readme.01 file in the install directory that
tells you that you must run svdaemon and svportmap in order for the
staroffice programs to communicate with each other.

--
      Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.
                GAT d- -p+(--) c++++ l++ u++ t- m--- W--- !v

Anyone Got Star Office Beta 3 working ?

Post by Sean Aker » Sun, 26 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Yep, it turned out to be a permissions problem after all. Thanks to everybody
who suggested cures for this. It's much appreciated.

Cheers,

Sean.

--

Using RedHat Linux 4.0

1. star office 6 beta

Does anyone know of a site where this version can still be obtained
since the beta program has closed?

--

Robert Koss, Ph.D.     | Training, Mentoring, Contract Development
Senior Consultant      | Object Oriented Design, C++, Java

-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!  ==-----

2. Adaptec SCSI and a Iomega SCSI Zip install problem

3. ### Star-Office 3.1 (Beta 2) for Linux is out ###

4. NIS Question

5. Star Office 6.0 Beta Is Out

6. "sz" problem, _please_ read

7. Using Star Office 3.1 beta **WITHOUT** Motif 2.0

8. Seeking an ISP

9. Star Office first beta

10. Star Office 6.0 beta - very nice!

11. Star Office 5.2 Beta on 2.6 - intallation problem

12. Star Office beta 4

13. Star Office 6.0 Beta Is Out