programmer's tools needed for kernel recompile

programmer's tools needed for kernel recompile

Post by Lori Holder-Web » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Oops.  I want to recompile my kernel, but I didn't install most of the
programming tools when I set up the system (I'm *not* a developer, *am*
very new at all this, and didn't think I'd need them).  Can anyone tell
me exactly what tools I need to accomplish this and how I can get them?
I'm using RH 6.0, and have looked at the documentation and 3 or 4 books,
but nothing seems to address this issue specifically.

Thanks,

Lori

Post by Paul Kimo » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Oops.  I want to recompile my kernel, but I didn't install most of the
> programming tools when I set up the system (I'm *not* a developer, *am*
> very new at all this, and didn't think I'd need them).  Can anyone tell
> me exactly what tools I need to accomplish this and how I can get them?
> I'm using RH 6.0

Well, you need the kernel source code.  Red Hat doesn't give you a list
of recommended packages associated with the kernel source?

Here is a (partial?) list:

* kernel source code (although you may prefer the newest version from
  ftp.us.kernel.org)
* kernel headers (if they are packaged separately from the rest of the
  source code)
* binutils
* C compiler (gcc|egcs)
* libc(6) _development_ files
* make
* bin86 (on Intel architecture)

Optional
- ncurses _and_ its development files [menuconfig]
- Tk, Tcl, _and_ development files    [xconfig]
- pcmcia source                       [PCMCIA support]
- lilo                                [bootloader]

--

1. need to recompile ftape: recompile kernel too?

I'm trying to get ftape to work, and after upgrading my kernel to
2.0.0 on my Red Hat system I noticed the tape controller hex address
is wrong. I corrected the makefile in
/usr/src/linux/drivers/char/ftape so now I need to re-compile. I have
ftape setup as a loadable module.

The main question is do I need to recompile the whole kernel + modules
or should I just recompile ftape? Can I just run 'make modules' then
'make modules_install' and have it work? Or should I just run make in
/usr/src/linux/drivers/char/ftape and move ftape.o to
/lib/modules/2.0.0?

Any advice or insight is appreciated.
--

David

| Mechanical Engineering Senior                                      |
| Mississippi State University             OS/2 and Linux user       |
|                                                                    |
|        "I'd explain it, but there's a lot of math." -- Calvin.     |
|                                                                    |
+------------- http://www2.msstate.edu/~dmi1/index.html -------------+

2. Firewall and proxy

3. Need help on chosing kernel memory option, when recompile a new kernel

4. RH5 & 2.5"HD problem

5. which ftpd server implements ACCT command?

6. My partitions - what's wrong?

7. Help: Trouble recompiling kernel, won't boot from new Kernel

8. Where are Slackware kernel recompile tools?

9. recompile kernel tool

10. Recompiled kernel: Can't get rid of `insmod: xxx undefined' messages

11. aha1542, module vs kernel, kernel doesn't work, need kernel