E-Mail Server on Linux, Clients on Win '98

E-Mail Server on Linux, Clients on Win '98

Post by Robert Birc » Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I want to set up an email server on linux (Red Hat 5.2) with client software
running on Win 98 (Either Outlook or Outlook Express).

I would like to keep the mail on the server.

I am used to doing this with MS Exchange, but am rather new to the Linux
environment.

Can this be done?? What server package is best suited for this??

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert Birch

Post by C.T.Nadovi » Thu, 21 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I want to set up an email server on linux (Red Hat 5.2) with client software
>running on Win 98 (Either Outlook or Outlook Express).
>Can this be done?? What server package is best suited for this??

It's a piece of cake. Standard popper and sendmail configurations should
handle what you want unless you have wierd needs.  If sendmail is running
and popper is properly enabled in hosts.allow, your linux mail server
should just work as is without you lifing a finger.

If you have wierd needs, it'll still handle it, but you might need to
configure things a bit.

Why did you think it couldn't be done? Is it because Micro$oft charges
money for inferior and clunky mail transport agents? Unix has been doing
mail transport for decades. M$-Exchange is a johnny-come-lately.

Why people pay good money for NT mail and/or file servers is beyond my
comprehension.

--
Chris Nadovich
http://www.jtan.com/chris

E-Mail Server on Linux, Clients on Win '98

Post by Grant Lesli » Thu, 21 Jan 1999 04:00:00

        I'm doing what I think you're after...

        First, I have RedHat 5.1, running Sendmail to accept mail and send it
where it needs to go...

        Second I installed the Imapd server, which provides "IMAP" services,
this allow you to access your internet email, while it stays on the
server, it lets me check my mail from just about anywhere, on multiple
clients, without needing to "download" all the messages each time.. just
the header info.

        So far it has worked flawlessly, although I'm the only one currently
using IMAP on this server, it seems to handle my nearly 400 messages at
a time, without trouble. (ps. I'm not that popular, just too lazy to
delete the old stuff ;-) )

--
"It looks so lovely, and fragile. Imagine how many millions of people
 are living on it, and don't even realize how fragile it is."

E-Mail Server on Linux, Clients on Win '98

Post by Raymond Doetje » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

To serve your needs the best, I suggest you use the IMAP4 protocoll.
It looks alot like the M$ Mail. Mail stays on the server untill deleted you can
make maps and move mail into it etc etc.

When you have redhat, IMAP4 is standardly running just configure your mail
client to access via imap4.

Raymond

1. Linux Firewall to Win 98: Email doesn't work, WWW does

I've just gotten my Linux box configured as a firewall to a DSL modem,
with one Win98 box on the internal network. Everything except email
seems to work fine: From the Win98 box, I can ping the outside world,
and browse the web just find. But email (MS Express) can't connect to
any external mailservers. I know the basic stuff must be working or I
couldn't do www browsing.

I'm sure there something I didn't do correctly when I setup the
firewall using ipchains. I found a website ( http://linux-firewall-
tools.com/linux/firewall/index.html) which will automatically create a
firewall script for you. I'm sure there's an option in there that isn't
right, since I can bypass the Linux box and go directly to the Win98
box, and email works. What should I look for?

Thanks!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Makefile arguments

3. Linux client, Win '98 Gateway

4. HELP!! Hard Drive Accessing All the Time - After Boot Floppy Attempt!!!

5. Linux client with win98 server (w/ cable modem on win 98 machine)

6. Device names

7. Sygate (Win 98) server to Linux client

8. SMB printing with Epson Color Stylus

9. Linux as the file and internet server with win NT/95/98 clients

10. Frontpage 98 won't publish to Linux Server

11. Don't want to loose win '98 docs etc.., & want Linux NOW!