Post by Mike Cast » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>this from the console. Screen allows cut and paste from the console, but
>it won't allow me to copy more than one console-screen's worth. The man

Yes it will.  You just have to know how to do it.

From the man page:
      Enter copy/scrollback mode. This allows you to  copy  text
       from  the  current  window  and its history into the paste
       buffer. In this mode a vi-like  `full  screen  editor'  is
       active:
       Movement keys:
         h,  j,  k,  l  move the cursor line by line or column by
           column.
         0, ^ and $ move to the leftmost column, to the first  or
           last non-whitespace character on the line.
         H, M and L move the cursor to the leftmost column of the
           top, center or bottom line of the window.
         + and - positions one line up and down.
         G moves to the specified absolute line (default: end  of
           buffer).
         | moves to the specified absolute column.
         w, b, e move the cursor word by word.
         C-u  and C-d scroll the display up/down by the specified
           amount of lines while preserving the cursor  position.
           (Default: half screen-full).
         C-b and C-f scroll the display up/down a full screen.
         g moves to the beginning of the buffer.
         % jumps to the specified percentage of the buffer.

So you could cat a file to the screen, C-a [, C-b as many times as
necessary, space-bar, G to go to bottom of the screen, position as
necessary, and voila.

You may also look at the readbuf command (C-a <).  Do something like
cp file /tmp/screen-exchange
C-a <
C-a ]

I assume you're using a recent enough version of lynx that supports
automatic growing of textfields.  Also, recent enough version of lynx
supports spawning an external editor for a textfield, and then you could
just use the editor the read in the file into the buffer.

mrc
--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly

www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/ and be right at least twice a day.  -- mrc
    We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan.  -- Watchmen

Post by Russell Mark » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> How can I load a large amount of text into a Web form entry box when
> using Lynx? In Netscape I can of course cut and paste, but I need to do
> this from the console. Screen allows cut and paste from the console, but
> it won't allow me to copy more than one console-screen's worth. The man

FWIW, you can copy more (unless you use a very big console :-)) - try
scrolling off the top of the screen when copying. I think the default
scrollback buffer is 100 lines.

Quote:> page mentions how to paste the whole buffer, which I take to mean a
> whole file, but I haven't had success getting that to work. I either

The basic way to paste a file seems to be given under the
documentation for `bufferfile' in the man page:

                   C-a : bufferfile /etc/passwd
                   C-a < C-a ]
                   C-a : bufferfile

I managed to paste a 32k file into `cat >foo' that way, so it seems to
work (though screen's display got a bit confused, the file was ok).
But when pasting into lynx *be careful* not to post too many lines, or
it'll get horribly confused, treating the extraneous text as commands.
This may seem obvious, but it caught me out when I tested it. :-)

-Rus.

1. Checking htpasswd file via web form submission

I am trying to figure out how to authenticate users that are entered in
a htpasswd file. My htpasswd/.htaccess set up works great, when I try
to access a file in the protected directory. However, I am trying to
bypass the standard browser generated user/password dialog box. I would
like to have users enter a username and password from a web based form.
This will a gateway password page.

Checking for a valid user is easy, it is the checking for the matching
password that has me stumped.

Here is what I have tried. It works, but has some serous drawbacks as
the password is visible in the browsers location field.

I created my my web form and passed the submitted results to a Perl
script. That script parses the data and then sends the results to a

&ReadParse(*input);
$user = $input{'user'};
$pass = $input{'pass'};
print "Location:

As I said, this works, as the resulting location takes the user and
password and checks the htpaswd file and authenticates if there is a
match. But, the password is unencrypted during the redirection and
visible.

Is there any easier and better way of doing this? Basically, how do you
manually test a password against the encrypted one in a htpasswd file?

Running Apache 1.3.9/FreeBSD

Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

2. Can not chjange passwd

3. URLs of form http://username:passwd@host... in Apache (and other web servers)

4. Another KDE2 RC2/konqueror problem

5. e-mail to Web servers that support forms?

6. htimage for solaris x86

7. Web Forum for UBasic Formed!

8. OPENDOC on Linux

9. web site -- forms -- database

10. Is there a load-leveler form/newsGroup?

11. web forms killing ppp!

12. Sporadically Unable to enter text in web forms

13. Middleware to connect PostgreSQL to Web forms ?