copied Win partition, now won't boot

Post by Bob Tennen » Mon, 15 Jul 2002 04:15:39

I copied Linux partitions and a Windows partition to a larger drive
using cp -a on Linux after partitioning the drive and creating the
appropriate file systems. After running lilo on the new drive, Linux
boots fine; Windows doesn't: I just get "Loading Windows 95" and then
nothing happens. Is there something that has to be copied but isn't
copied by cp -a?

Bob T.

copied Win partition, now won't boot

Post by Dances With Crow » Mon, 15 Jul 2002 04:57:07

On 13 Jul 2002 19:15:39 GMT, Bob Tennent staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

Quote:> I copied Linux partitions and a Windows partition to a larger drive
> using cp -a on Linux after partitioning the drive and creating the
> appropriate file systems. After running lilo on the new drive, Linux
> boots fine; Windows doesn't: I just get "Loading Windows 95" and then
> nothing happens. Is there something that has to be copied but isn't
> copied by cp -a?

Welcome to the intricacies of the Windoze boot process!  The problem is
that 'Doze9x wants to have the first sector of IO.SYS in a special
location on the hard disk, namely the first sector of the partition.
This used to be common knowledge.

The thing to do in this case is to make a DOS boot disk (find a 9x
machine that can do this, it seems to be impossible with 'DozeXP) with
"FORMAT /S A:" , then "COPY C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\SYS.COM A:" , then boot
from that DOS boot disk and execute SYS C: .  That will get IO.SYS
straightened out, and you'll be able to boot 'Doze9x.

There is, AFAIK, no way to do this within Linux.  Next time, to do a
system backup of a FAT32 partition, use "partimage", available at
http://www.partimage.org/ , since that has a good UI and will keep track
of things like the position of IO.SYS (for DOS) and the positions of
kernel images and loading maps (for Linux).

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

Post by Bob Tennen » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 21:51:54

 >> I copied Linux partitions and a Windows partition to a larger drive
 >> using cp -a on Linux after partitioning the drive and creating the
 >> appropriate file systems. After running lilo on the new drive, Linux
 >> boots fine; Windows doesn't: I just get "Loading Windows 95" and
 >> then nothing happens. Is there something that has to be copied but
 >> isn't copied by cp -a?

 > Welcome to the intricacies of the Windoze boot process! The problem
 > is that 'Doze9x wants to have the first sector of IO.SYS in a special
 > location on the hard disk, namely the first sector of the partition.
 > This used to be common knowledge.

I have vague memories of this from when I last used Windows, about 6
years ago. This is my daughter's box that I'm "upgrading".

 > The thing to do in this case is to make a DOS boot disk (find a 9x
 > machine that can do this, it seems to be impossible with 'DozeXP)
 > with "FORMAT /S A:" , then "COPY C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\SYS.COM A:" ,
 > then boot from that DOS boot disk and execute SYS C: . That will get
 > IO.SYS straightened out, and you'll be able to boot 'Doze9x.

Done. Thanks. I hate having to pay a Windows service guy big bucks for
30 seconds of work (and then to be denied the relevant information when
I ask for it).

Bob T.

1. Sparc 20 won't boot and won't display errors, either.

Take the video card out and see if that helps - I had a system recently that
would not do anything because of a bad video card.

Don Woodward
www.sunsunsun.net

2. tar question

3. *** lilo won't boot win' 95 ***

4. dissappearing terminal window

5. Sparc 20 won't boot and won't display errors, either.

6. Redhat 7.0

7. Starbuck won't boot, rescue disk won't mount

8. redirect (via Location: header) on netscape server

9. SCO unix won't boot - probably don't see active partition

10. 2.2.1 - apparently won't copy to boot sector

11. FreeBSD 4.2 won't boot - 'read error' on boot after install

12. Need Help: fsck error on root partition, won't boot.

13. Partitioning - NT WON'T BOOT!