GCC 2.7.0 and kernels 1.3.6 and 1.2.6

Post by David Bro » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hi folks,

Is it just me or will GCC2.7.0 not compile kernels 1.3.6 and 1.2.6 out of
the box? I have updated libc, ld.so, binutils (even libg++) to the latest
out on sunsite but I get different compile errors when making the kernel.
First off I got a compiler internal error, now I get undefined reference
messages at the final link. I can post the exact text.

Also I can't now compile ncurses 1.9.2a (or whatever), this wants a file
called sgtty.h, I found such a named file in /usr/include/bsd, so I ln -s ed
it in to /usr/include but it still weren't happy.

I have not heard of any real problems about the latest kernels as the
kernel mailing list has not sent anything in this direction for a good week
or so.

   /  RSL Phone: +44 116 2522822 during the day    /
  /  Secret number: 0850 152076 anytime it's on   /
 / PGP Public key available for secret messages! /

GCC 2.7.0 and kernels 1.3.6 and 1.2.6

Post by Joel Ka » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi folks,
>Is it just me or will GCC2.7.0 not compile kernels 1.3.6 and 1.2.6 out of
>the box? I have updated libc, ld.so, binutils (even libg++) to the latest
>out on sunsite but I get different compile errors when making the kernel.
>First off I got a compiler internal error, now I get undefined reference
>messages at the final link. I can post the exact text.

        You need H.J. Lu's ELF kernel patches for versions prior to 1.3.6
(I think).

Quote:>Also I can't now compile ncurses 1.9.2a (or whatever), this wants a file
>called sgtty.h, I found such a named file in /usr/include/bsd, so I ln -s ed
>it in to /usr/include but it still weren't happy.

        Ncurses is a little screwy. I patched it for ELF but haven't
gotten a chance to release the patches yet. (I patched 1.8.6) Keep at it,
you'll get it.

Quote:>I have not heard of any real problems about the latest kernels as the
>kernel mailing list has not sent anything in this direction for a good week
>or so.

        I haven't had any with 1.3.8 or 1.3.9.

--

Information on Objectivism, Atheism, the 8031/8051 Microcontrollers, Linux
and more is available at "http:www.panix.com/~stimpson/".

Post by David Bro » Tue, 18 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: >Hi folks,

: >Is it just me or will GCC2.7.0 not compile kernels 1.3.6 and 1.2.6 out of
: >the box? I have updated libc, ld.so, binutils (even libg++) to the latest
: >out on sunsite but I get different compile errors when making the kernel.
: >First off I got a compiler internal error, now I get undefined reference
: >messages at the final link. I can post the exact text.

:       You need H.J. Lu's ELF kernel patches for versions prior to 1.3.6
: (I think).

The answer as I have found out is to read the fine material! That is, there
is a useful file - ELF-HOWTO, this reveals all about upgrading to GCC2.7.0
and about what ELF is.

: >Also I can't now compile ncurses 1.9.2a (or whatever), this wants a file
: >called sgtty.h, I found such a named file in /usr/include/bsd, so I ln -s ed
: >it in to /usr/include but it still weren't happy.

:       Ncurses is a little screwy. I patched it for ELF but haven't
: gotten a chance to release the patches yet. (I patched 1.8.6) Keep at it,
: you'll get it.

Well, as if by magic after I had followed the howto, Ncurses compiled and
installed.

I then ofcourse went and edited the /etc/DIR_COLORS to let colourised ls
work with the term of 'linux'. Still setterm is broken, but I guess a new
compile of this will give me my colours back.

   /  RSL Phone: +44 116 2522822 during the day    /
  /  Secret number: 0850 152076 anytime it's on   /
 / PGP Public key available for secret messages! /

GCC 2.7.0 and kernels 1.3.6 and 1.2.6

Post by Andrew A Schofiel » Sun, 23 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I am having major problems compiling my old xview programs using gcc 2.7.0 (ELF
and -b i386-linuxaout) I get undefined reference errors to all the xv_get,
xv_set etc functions. Even a ld by hand didn't work I got it down to undefined
reference to _start. (And a seg. fault)
Please help as I'm at my wits end...
My kernel is 1.3.8 and the binutils + libc et al; are all the latest versions
(as on sunsite) All other programs seem to compile fine and the entire kernel
was rebuilt succesfully.

Also --  Does V1.3.8 lose colour.. Mine seems to have vanished.. Not major just
annoying..

Thanx in advance,
        Andrew