Getting rid of LILO

Post by Mikko Kortelain » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Can anybody tell me a way to get rid of LILO _after_ removing Linux?

I installed Windows NT on my machine. It worked OK for a while, but suddenly
LILO started to hang before selecting the OS - it only prints 'LI' and after
that nothing.

So, is there a DOS-program or something that can remove LILO? I think my
LILO is installed in the MBR.

--Mikko Kortelainen

Getting rid of LILO

Post by Xavi » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Can anybody tell me a way to get rid of LILO _after_ removing Linux?

>I installed Windows NT on my machine. It worked OK for a while, but
suddenly
>LILO started to hang before selecting the OS - it only prints 'LI' and
after
>that nothing.

>So, is there a DOS-program or something that can remove LILO? I think my
>LILO is installed in the MBR.

>--Mikko Kortelainen

I haven't tied it,  but
have you try to restore the MBR with a MS-DOS (v6 and later) system floppy ?

a:\> fdisk /mbr

 Hope it help

  Xavi

Getting rid of LILO

Post by Thomas B. Quillin » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Just run fdisk /mbr
That'll clear out you're master boot record and put back in Window$ stuff....

tom.
: Can anybody tell me a way to get rid of LILO _after_ removing Linux?

: I installed Windows NT on my machine. It worked OK for a while, but suddenly
: LILO started to hang before selecting the OS - it only prints 'LI' and after
: that nothing.

: So, is there a DOS-program or something that can remove LILO? I think my
: LILO is installed in the MBR.

: --Mikko Kortelainen

Thomas B. Quillinan

Getting rid of LILO

Post by Leonard Even » Thu, 24 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Can anybody tell me a way to get rid of LILO _after_ removing Linux?

> I installed Windows NT on my machine. It worked OK for a while, but suddenly
> LILO started to hang before selecting the OS - it only prints 'LI' and after
> that nothing.

> So, is there a DOS-program or something that can remove LILO? I think my
> LILO is installed in the MBR.

> --Mikko Kortelainen

Your original mistake was to install Lilo in the master boot record.    It
should
be installed in the root partition for Linux which should be made the active
partition.

Getting rid of LILO

Post by Victor Danilchenk » Thu, 24 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> > Can anybody tell me a way to get rid of LILO _after_ removing Linux?

> > I installed Windows NT on my machine. It worked OK for a while, but suddenly
> > LILO started to hang before selecting the OS - it only prints 'LI' and after
> > that nothing.

> > So, is there a DOS-program or something that can remove LILO? I think my
> > LILO is installed in the MBR.

> > --Mikko Kortelainen

> Your original mistake was to install Lilo in the master boot record.    It
> should
> be installed in the root partition for Linux which should be made the active
> partition.

        Removing LILO from MBR is as simple as running "fdisk /mbr" from DOS;
however, there are often very good reasons to install LILO into MBR --
like, say, my situation, where all Linux stuff is sitting on my HD#2,
and all of HD#1 is Win95. I don't want to mix the two OSes, so I use
LILO from MBR instead.

--
|  Victor A. Danilchenko       CSCF support  |

|       Quando omni flunkus, moritati.       |

Getting rid of LILO

Post by Michael Kel » Fri, 25 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Removing LILO from MBR is as simple as running "fdisk /mbr" from DOS;

Also if you're messing around with a lot of different OSs you may want to
be careful that the fdisk you use is compatible with what was there(i.e.
use a Win95 boot disk for Win95 and OS2 fdisk for OS2 etc..) or alternatively,
at least on Slackware, lilo install saves the MBR that was there when it
installed Lilo, so you can restore it from Linux.

man lilo

Just fyi. :)

Mike

"Genius gives birth, talent delivers."

                - Jack Kerouac

(remove NOSPAM from address, if present, to reply)