Making cdr-image in Linux and Burn in Windows

Making cdr-image in Linux and Burn in Windows

Post by per_ove_carls.. » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

A would like to make backup of the root partition on my linux machine.
The backup should be a full with the user premissions and groups.

The problem is that I don't have any CD-writer on my machine.
But...
I have a large Harddisk and a 100Mbit network connecting the
two machines togeather, (Linux / Windows)

Linux box:
Can I make a virtual file system on a partition.
Copy all files that I would like to burn on a CDR to that partition.
making a image file that I will transfer to the windows machine.
Windows machine:
Burn with some proper software that handel my image-format.  ???

Please give some advice I need help on this problem.

Best Regards / Per-Ove

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Making cdr-image in Linux and Burn in Windows

Post by Dances With Cro » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>A would like to make backup of the root partition on my linux machine.
>The backup should be a full with the user premissions and groups.
>The problem is that I don't have any CD-writer on my machine.
>I have a large Harddisk and a 100Mbit network connecting the
>two machines togeather, (Linux / Windows)
>Can I make a virtual file system on a partition.
>Copy all files that I would like to burn on a CDR to that partition.
>making a image file that I will transfer to the windows machine.
>Windows machine:

You could, but why?  Shoot, if it's the root partition and its files you
want, you could do this:

# tar -Plczf rootbackup.tgz /

That will put all the files in the root partition in rootbackup.tgz, and
the -l option will prevent it from going into other filesystems like /proc
or /home or /usr (if you have /home and /usr on different partitions.)
Take that rootbackup.tgz file, transfer it to the Win machine with the
CD-R, and then burn a CD with the rootbackup.tgz file on it.

I suppose you could do something similar with mkisofs, but some perverse
Windoze CD-writing software makes it difficult and counterintuitive to
burn an ISO image onto a CD.  HTH,

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows        \          In the MS-DOStrix,
There is no Darkness in Eternity   \----\    there is no fork().

1. Making cdr-image in Linux and Burn in Windows

A would like to make backup of the root partition on my linux machine.
The backup should be a full with the user premissions and groups.

The problem is that I don't have any CD-writer on my machine.
But...
I have a large Harddisk and a 100Mbit network connecting the
two machines togeather, (Linux / Windows)

Linux box:
Can I make a virtual file system on a partition.
Copy all files that I would like to burn on a CDR to that partition.
making a image file that I will transfer to the windows machine.
Windows machine:
Burn with some proper software that handel my image-format.  ???

Please give some advice I need help on this problem.

Best Regards / Per-Ove

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. cant get to kde

3. Windows media Player plug-ins

4. Merced - Diagram

5. cdr linux burn reads in windows, no mount in linux

6. Cannot install Red Hat 8.0

7. Sherlock linux plug-ins / sherlock for linux?

8. StackGuard: Automatic Protection From Stack-smashing Attacks

9. making a image to burn to cd in linux?

10. Help burning CDR (iso) image

11. CDRs I burn in Windows NT server are not readable in Linux

12. Burning REDHAT image on CDR